We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Wadi Rum

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Wadi Rum

Hey guys..

I'm planning on doing a day trip to Wadi Rum from Petra and plan on taking the early morning bus from Petra to Wadi Rum. I think it arrives around 8:30am or so to the Visitor's Center and from there, book a 4x4 Jeep Tour (3 hours or so). Has anyone here done the 3hour tour? Is it worth it? Can you extend the time?

Also, I will need to head back to Petra that same day... to catch the 5pm JETT bus back to Amman that day. What time should I leave Wadi Rum to ensure that I catch the 5pm JETT Bus to Amman? Also, are there buses at Wadi Rum or would I have to take a taxi (or have it pre-arranged with my hotel in Petra to have someone come get me)?

Hope you guys can help!

Mentioned in this post
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
Wadi Rum Excursions Day Tours
Other Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Majed Day Tours of Wadi Rum
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Balloon Rides, Day Trips
Bedouin Experience Camp
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Wadi Rum

There is a daily bus from Wadi Rum to Petra but its the same bus that drops you off and then it turns around and heads back so you will most definitely have to take a taxi back. Its around 2-2.5 hours by taxi and I think will cost around 40 JOD. If you need to be back to catch the 5PM bus then you should probably leave Wadi Rum no later than 2PM which gives you time for a 4 or 5 hour Jeep tour.

You could get a taxi all the way to Amman but it will probably run you around 100 JOD.

The guide companies will do however long of a tour you want. My wife and I went with Bedouin Lifestyle www.bedouinlifestyle.com and they offer 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and overnight trips. They can also arrange a taxi back to Petra if you need one. Just tell them when you need to be back and they will set it up.

Mentioned in this post
Amman
Amman
Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Wadi Rum

The bus usually arrives about 8am. Petra is 120kms or an hour and a half from Wadi Rum.

It is worth taking the longest tour you can find there, but since the normal prices are based on the vehicle, they depend on how many passengers there are in the party. In other words, you might not get a chance to choose, unless you are willing to pay the full price alone.

There are no buses away from Wadi Rum in the afternoon or evening. Will you have a prepaid return ticket from Petra? Buses also leave for Amman from Aqaba which is nearer and the taxi would be cheaper. The buses also run later, the latest JETT bus leaves at 6.30pm and there are minibuses until quite late in the evening.

The Visitors' Centre and also the Resthouse in the village can arrange a taxi for you, but remember that there are no taxis based in Wadi Rum so they would have to come from Petra (an hour and a half) or from Aqaba (an hour). You can of course pre-arrange the taxi as you suggest, but this you then have no scope for changing your plans.

Mentioned in this post
Amman
Amman
Aqaba
Aqaba
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Wadi Rum

Very helpful information! Thank you Amariya and JodoKast!

4. Re: Day trip to Wadi Rum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:16