We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aberdare NP - what should I pack?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Aberdare NP - what should I pack?

I'm going to be staying at The Ark for a couple of nights early in August 2012 and I'm wondering what the likelihood of rain is at this time of year?

I'm having trouble trying to work out what to pack. After allowing for camera equipment, I'm left with less than 6kg for everything else (for a 3 week trip) and I'm wondering if it's worth taking a waterproof jacket. All the other lodges throughout my visit supply ponchos and umbrellas, so any jacket would only be for these 2 days.

Would it get used, and Is it worth it?

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Aberdare NP - what should I pack?

Val H - I don't publish my photos anywhere (too self-critical) but I will make sure I upload lots to TA when I post my reviews and trip report at the end of August.

Sadly I don't think there's anything I will be packing that hasn't spent at least some time on the kitchen scales. I had my packing down to a fine art for flying within South Africa but I have a 20kg limit then, so dropping 5kg for my first trip to Kenya is something of a challenge.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Aberdare NP - what should I pack?

I'll look forward to those.

Thanks Bushmaniac.

the Hague
Level Contributor
43 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Aberdare NP - what should I pack?

Is it not possible to buy some extra kg's? In advance some airlines have quite acceptable prices, and it will give some comfort as well.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Aberdare NP - what should I pack?

A final update:

Having decided to get my Visa on arrival, I was surprised how little time it took. Arriving at Jomo Kenyatta it was only about 30 minutes after leaving the plane and I’d got my visa and my luggage and we were being met for our transfer to Wilson airport for our flight to the Mara, which itself took another 30 minutes.

On our SafariLink flight, although I had managed to get my total luggage weight to 17kg, my companion’s luggage totalled 30kg. Luckily the flight was not full and so we were able to pay for 15kg excess luggage (1500 KSH / £12).

My decision not to take a waterproof jacket worked out well as the vehicles at both Lake Nakuru and the Aberdares NP were enclosed with pop-up roofs.

It’s now nearly a week since I returned from this epic trip and I am still trying to get my head around all the wonders I have seen.

The vastness of the open plains of the Mara, the sheer number of animals, the hardship seen in towns and villages, and the diversity of the terrain, from rain forests, vast open plains, bamboo forest and moorlands just blew my mind. On my trip I saw 58 different mammals, 19 of which I’d never seen before.

I know I have fallen in love with the Mara and now have the dilemma of choosing whether to visit East or South Africa again next year.

Reply to: Aberdare NP - what should I pack?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aberdare National Park