We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

I plan to visit Kenya (Nairobi, Navasha, Masai Mara, Aberdare) for a week. Under the present

situation, will it be safe to travel? We are worried and do not know what is best for us to do.

bath
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

We are also worried we fly out mombasa on the 19th october i am very worried but have spoken to thomson who said no you will be fine . i have tried to delay it till next october and keep the whole trip the same . but they say i can not do that without it costing me under terms and conditions of booking even though i am not asking for my money back !! i feel thompson and any other holiday company are not being fair . so we have to go or lose a considerible amount of money . it have been my dream to go and do a safari ( which is booked independently through a company in kenya ) so this is what we are going to do unless things change in the next week or so .

Torrington...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

I am going to Nairobi on October 7th. I will not be cancelling my trip. Crazy stuff like this happens all over the world. We cant stop living our lives bc of it.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

We have been told that we will lose 75percent of the tour money if we cancel our trip. We feel it is unfair to

us as the situation is tense in Nairobi right now. cannot take a decision. will have to wait and see in the next two days how the situation is.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

I am flying out next week and have no intention of cancelling. If anything you can expect heightened security and the place could be safer than ever. That was certainly true after the 7/7 bombings in London.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

Anu -

hope you purchased Trip Insurance Cancellation/Interruption where many have a clause that if terrorism has occurred at your destination within 30/days of arrival you can put in a claim for refunds and/or postponement to a future date. Check with your insurer.

Western North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

We just came back from 11 day safari 4 days before the attack at the Mall. We felt safe and as another person said, security will be heightened even more. I would not cancel. Fabulous time which was second time on safari on Kenya.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

It is a tough decision.

We are flying to Nairobi on Sunday. Only due to spend 2 nights there, before taking a bus over the border to spend 3 weeks in Tanzania.

I am certainly not one to be overly paranoid or cautious. And I think it is all about risk assessment. The chances of something happening one week after this attack are, in my opinion, slim.

However, as we were never going to be spending much time there - it's really only a stop-over place for us - I'm wondering if it's worth the worry more than anything else. So considering whether we should book a flight straight to Tanzania from Nairobi for when we arrive...

Still undecided.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

Anu,

would you travel to Mumbai? Going to Nairobi is just the same.

Rosin,

as you say the chances of a similar thing happening are slim, would an organisation like Al Shabaab have enough people to plan, organise and have enough people trained and in position to carry out another 'spectacular'?

Kenya is experiencing something similar to what mainland UK experienced for decades during the IRA terror campaign, but that didn't stop people going to London, Birmingham, Manchester, Warrington etc . As the president said this isn't Kenya's war it is global, Kenya has joined the UK, USA, France, Spain and all the other western nations at risk of attack from Al Qaeda, (Al Shabaab is associated with Al Qaeda)

Nairobi, Kenya
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

My sincer advice to you is that Kenya is safe and please proceed with your plans.I have guest in Kenya and more are coming since we are sure of the security situations and we cannot mislead anyone.Proceed with your plans.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling to Kenya on 12th oct... is it safe.

We're leaving on the 15th Oct Anu.

Yes bad things can happen, but they can happen anywhere. I believe we're probably going at the safest time we could, when security is heightened and alert.

See the animals, enjoy the beach, and not be scared off by lunatics.

Get answers to your questions about Aberdare National Park