We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

devon england
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

anyone stayed at one or both of these, which would be the best to stay at for a 2 night three day safari, and advice would be great thanks, going in August.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

I can recommend them both, why not spend a night in each then you have the opportunity of seeing both Tsavo east and west. If you were to drive from the coast to Satao on day one, this will give you the chance to game drive from the park entrance to the camp arriving in time for lunch then take an afternoon drive. on day 2 take an early morning game drive, return to the lodge after breakfast, depart for Kilaguni game driving all the way arriving in time for lunch. Then take an afternoon game drive. Day 3 early morning and mid morning drive, lunch at the lodge and then return to the coast.

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

Bruce, I like your suggestions. How difficult is driving in the south? I would never consider driving in the north or for a long trip but this sounds quite doable. If we fly (or take the train)from Nairobi to Mombassa, a self-drive might be a good option.

Mentioned in this post
Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

I wasn't recommending self drive but doing the safari with a driver.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

Hi Jane,

if you are traveling from Nairobi, why do not combine it with your safari, start with Amboseli

and then drive through chuyulu Hills, with a stopover at the Shetani Lava flow to Tsavo West, for Overnight before driving to Mombasa.

How fast your travel depends on your days you have to go on safari

Enjoy Kenya its great

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

Thanks, Softly. Do these lodges provide safaris for an additional cost? If so, then why do I need to have a driver from Monbassa to the lodges if the roads are decent??

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

spelling s/b "Mombasa" :)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

hi,

i agree with bruce but here are some pics of camps around.

anadventureinafrica.com/traveltipsandcamps.h…

agy

chicago
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

Hi Alex,am recommending you go to Kilaguni serena safari lodge because their services and accomodation is great ilearned this from my friend who hard agreat time.Hope i helped.

Mentioned in this post
Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge
Kilaguni Serena Safari...
791 Reviews
Tsavo National Park West, Kenya
Bedfordshire England
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

have driven in many places around the world, but I would not recommend a self-drive from Nairobi/Amboseli and onto TsavoWest. In March this year, the road from the main Mombasa/Nairobi road to Amboseli was only tarmac for around the first ten miles or so. After that it is a very dusty track that is often cut up by the road workers trucks. Fine in the proper vehicle driven by a local who knows it well, but not for self-driving in my opinion yet.

The drive from Amboseli to Tsavo West is on dirt roads the whole way and some of them are pretty dodgy to say the least unless you know what you are doing. The main route goes very close to the Tanzanian border in one or two places and it can be a bit daunting without a local driver. There is also at least one checkpoint on the way and I wouldn’t feel very comfortable there on my own. Having said that, the Kilaguni Serena is fine and given the journey with an experienced driver/guide, the trips round Amboseli and the road run down to Tsavo West is spectacular and safe. Lots of really good sights of Kilimanjaro, for example on the way between the parks. Plus the bonus of Mzuma Springs where you will see lots of happy hippos and possibly a few crocs on the banks as well. You might as well throw in trip to Tsavo East as well if you have time, because it is not very much further once you are that far.

I can certainly recommend that safari, given a good guide/driver, whether you do it from Nairobi or the coast.

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Tsavo East
Tsavo East
1,270 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
devon england
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Satao Camp or Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge which one?

thanks very much for your reply Bruce, you sound a bit of an expert, another place we have been recommended is the Ashnil Aruba lodge, i must admit i am getting completely confused about what to do although your idea makes a lot of sense. which safari company do you use, i have seen on T/A that JT safaris seem to be well recommended. Another trip we were going to try and do was to go to Wasini island and the Kisite marine park to see the dolphins any thoughts on either of those!!???

alexa

Mentioned in this post
Ashnil Aruba Lodge
Ashnil Aruba Lodge
703 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...