We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

kenya
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

hi guys,

we have an option of going to the following places but needed some help choosing:

We are basically going to the park to relax and games drives are not our first and foremost priority.

Manyatta camp

Ashnil Aruba

Sentrim Tsavo

Ndololo safari camp

Lion rock lodge- Lumo conservancy.

Ngulia safari camp- not the old lodge

Would any of you knowledgeable folks be able to shed more light on the following:

quality of accommodation.( rankings of all these would help)

quality of food.

is there a pool?

quality of wildlife around the lodge or do we have to go far in search of game?

please help if you can.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

to give you all the information you need will be to long, better you look at the choice of the Lodge/camp from your point of view.

All lodges /camps attract different Value for money

as higher you pay as higher the standard, somtimes it is also you to chose on what are your preferences...

so to advise you what is the best for you, we need to know what is what are you looking at, also see some of the lodges/camps are outside the park. Then you have a issue because your game drives will be somehow limited as you are only allowed one re entry.

also some mentioned lodges camps are Tsavo East / some are Tsavo West.

How Long you want to relax??

Voi Wildlife lodge is outside the park and has a SPA.

mombasa
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

the best is ashnil aruba and voi safari lodge intsavo east and ngulia safari lodgeand kilagini lodge in tsavo west.

kenya
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

hi slofty

thanks for your response.

let me try and answer your questions if I can.

1. We are looking at going for three nights so game drives may be taken once or twice only total during the holiday.

Money is not really the issue but the lodges/tented camps I have listed are among my budget.Finch Hatton's would have been the best but out of my budget.

Looking at it another way, if you have been to all/most of these places, where would you choose to go if rest and relaxation was your first priority and also the food and comfort of the rooms/tents was second.

I know lion rock is outside the park.is it worth it going there for three nights or would we get bored?

Basically we want to go somewhere where we can relax for three nights and still go for a small game drive in case we are bored.A pool is always a plus.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

If it were me, and I wanted 3 nights where I could sit by a pool and let the animals come to me (with an odd game drive thrown in) I would go every time to Voi Safari Lodge. You can while away many an hour by the pool, cold Tusker in hand, watching the comings and goings at the watering hole down below. The view is amazing. There are animals in and around the lodge - elephants, wart hogs, baboons, hyrax.

The food is good, and as I said the view fantastic but the lodge is old fashioned and needs moderning. However, if its the animals and not the curtains that you've come to see this is the place.

There are lots of game drives around the lodge and the drivers all talk and pass on where they've had good spots.

My idea of bliss!

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

Of those, I've only stayed at Lion Rock. While I enjoyed my stay, I would say that food isn't their strong point and there's no pool. I don't think it's suitable for someone who wants to stay 3 nights and spend the majority of their time at camp.

Have you considered Satao Camp? I understand they have good waterhole viewing. We really enjoyed their sister camp, Satao Rock, but I believe that has closed.

Finch Hattons is actually superbly suited for what you want to do. Great accommodations, food and a pool. We've spent many hours sitting our deck watching the hippos, birds and other game that wander through camp. Perhaps you could consider 2 nights there.

Swindon
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

Hi Ya

We are in the same position as you, are kenya holiday is in April and we are hoping to go on a safari. I have spent the last two days searching the web reading reviews of these lodges etc trying to work out which is the nicest. Like you I am very interested in seeing the animals and want to go on game drives however the standard of the accomodation is also very important. I was terrified to read two reviews where there was a big blood stain on one of the mattresses!! Everyone's views seem so different.

I have had a look at the website for the Finch Hattons and it looks beautiful but i noticed that you said it was out of your budget, we to have a budget and know doubt it will be out of ours also, but thought it might be worth asking you what the price was, if you can remember?

Many thanks for any help

Lisa Neath

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

FHs is luxury in the bush - silver cutlery, crysal and Mozart and although I can't remember the exact price I do recall one night at FH was equal to 3 nights at Ziwani Voyager camp. Having stayed at both, quite a few times, if I were on a budget then Ziwani Voyager would get my vote.

One bonus at Ziwani is the night game drive and bush walk.

Myself, I love Voi Safari Lodge - OK, its not 4 star but if the objective of safari is to see animals close up and personal, rather than the soft furnishings, then Voi's brilliant. The view is to die for!

Swindon
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

Thank you, yep i think Finch is definately out of our price range.

I had ruled out Voi as that was the place with several bad reviews (clearly you thought it was ok)

The following are the three i have narrowed it down to

Kilaguni Serena or Severin Safari in Tsavo West

Arunda Ashnil in the East

If anyone has stayed at these please let me know what you thought before I make up my mind for good!

Thanks

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

Hi,

have you thought of the Severin Safari Camp in the Tsavo West or the Galana River Lodge nearby the Tsavo East?

If i would choose an accomodation on safari only for the accomodation itself and not the game drives, i would choose one with a pool (Manyatta Camp and Ashnil Aruba are having one, also the 2 i mentioned above).

Also a nearby waterhole would be another option for me. For me personally the game drives are the most important, so it is not so easy to give a good tip.

Bye

Chrissy

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which accomodation and what room/tent numbers do we choose?

If you are after somewhere to relax then i would recommend Kilaguni in Tsavo west. This is by far the best lodge in either Tsavo east or west. Rooms are very comfortable, food is of a very high standard and the view from bar and restaurant overlooking the water hole and the Chula hills is something special.

The link below contains my review of the lodge and some photos. I posted it in 2006 but having just returned from the lodge earlier this month nothing has changed so no point updating it. There are reviews and photos for other Tsavo lodges which you might find useful in making up your mind. The only one that is a bit dated is Saltlick which i will up date shortly.

Just one last thing stay well clear of Lion hilll spent 2 hour there for lunch and that was more than enough,

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i1700-Kenyan_…