We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

Baughurst, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

My partner & I will be staying in the Mnarani Hotel in Kilifi for our honeymoon at the end of June. We would really like to go on a 2 or 3 day safari whilst we are there (it would be rude not to!) and we have contacted a couple of local guides (JT & Jawamu) about where to stay etc.

Can anyone recommend whether we should go to Tsavo East or West? Where will we be more likely to see the 'big 5' and other wildlife?

Any other recommendations would be welcome!

Level Contributor
304 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

I'll let others reply in more detail, but if the Big 5 are what you're after, drop Tsavo East. You won't find Rhino there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
292 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

Tsavo West is very bushy, making spotting animals pretty challenging in the wet season (or right after the wet season). May I suggest flying out to the Mara for 3 days? You will have the best chance of seeing the Big 5 in 3 days time if you go to the Mara.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 14:46
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

If its out of those 2, then go to Tsavo East. You'll see a lot more there though rhino will be nigh on impossible - there may still be some black rhino in the East park but you'd have to be very lucky to spot one. Other than that, there's plenty more to see.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,246 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

East for me. Even if you go to West and drive around the rhino sanctuary for a couple of hours you still might not see one. They are very shy and tend to stay in the bush out of sight. Lots of eles in East so my favourite.

Marseille, France
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

Having two nights, I would suggest that you do both or just Tsavo East only.

And who said there aren't rhinos in Tsavo East? There is a good strong breeding population that is under 24 hour security from the rangers. Not many a tourist are lucky too see them, I don't think you will neither. They are mostly in the North of the Galana river, once closed to the general public. Most game drives take place in the South and few or no rhinos wonder about these areas, as Tembofan said, they are very shy and would definitely prefer the less visited areas. Tsavo West offers better chances of spotting the elusive leopard while in Tsavo East it is directly the opposite.

For a good balance deal of game viewing, do both Tsavos, you will stand a better chance of seeing the "big five"

Where to stay? Tsavo East satao camp and Tsavo west Ngulia lodge/ Rhino valley camp...Kilaguni is good but quite a distance to the Rhino sanctuary.

You might be interested to check e-safaris.com, a good tour operator as well. They offer private mid range-luxury tours..might not be suitable if your are looking for a budget safari though.

Nairobi, Kenya
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

Hello Christine Y,

It is amazing to see your interest in having your honey moon in kenya which is indeed an amazing destination.

Tsavo East is amazing for wild life but it is also uncomparable to Masai Mara,the host to the wildebeest Migration.You may want to go for 3 days flight masai mara.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

I will advice on Tsavo East for more chances to see more animals. All the best.

8. Re: Tsavo East or Tsavo West National Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...