We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Flies in Tioman

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Sand Flies in Tioman

We are thinking of going to Tioman Island this summer but had read a guide that says that the sand flies can be a real problem!

Has anyone any experience of whether this is really a problem that could spoil a holiday that is about spending a lot of time in the water?

San Mateo California
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

I have been to Tioman 4 of the last 6 years.... Bugs in general are everywhere... it's a tropical island... However, i would not say they are a "real problem" and would not spoil your holiday.

If you stay at the barajya (sp) resort, it's like any other tropical resort... if you stay at some of the smaller villiages, it's a step or two above tent camping with the assorted bugs that go with it.

In all, tioman is a great place.... try the smaller villages.... Salang is my favorite... and if that is too "rustic" for you, go to the larger resort.

lug
essex
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

we took our 4 very English boys there - aged 11-15. We had no problems at all with sandflies. Used Boots strongest bug spray in the evenings and I think we got one bite between 6 of us in one week. The only biters we experienced were the mites in the sea- I think they were jellyfih larvae. They sting very so slightly but it wears off soon and no ill effects. We got bitten by a few fish as well- part of the whole snorkeling experience! Tioman does not have Malaria one of the reasons we chose to take our brood there.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

Many thanks for your reply. Peoples experience seems to vary greatly and read some posts on other forum saying they had day on the beach and then found ankle bitten to bits. A hotel said that they swept the beach every day to avoid a problem so maybe it depends on the beach. Must admit that it put us off (maybe wrongly) and have opted for Redang island instead. Thanks for your help.

Sesto Calende, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

I have been in Redang and I can say that it is full of sand flyes.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

Just got back from Redang and had a fantastic time and would recomend it without hesitation. Sat outside in the evenings and never had any trouble being bitten and not a sand fly to b seen in two weeks stay.

Lovely island, the most freindly people and excellent snorkling and diving.

Thanks for you help in choosing a wonderful holiday.

hong kong
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

We usually go on holiday breaks to small islands like koh chang or perhentian islands, so when i saw this alert about sand flies in tioman island (our destination in September) I didnt think much of it. The island overall is really rustic with not alot to do, which is what we wanted. We took the one day snorkelling and island hopping with our hotel, the berjaya which was fine until at one of the islands, I cant remember its name me and my husband decided to stretch out abit on the sand. I laid directly on the beach while my husband laid on a beach mat. This was only for 15 mins and we then went back on the boat. I mean IMMEDIATELY my husband noticed 20 or so red rash spots on my back. It wasnt itchy or anything so i left it. That night they became really really itchy and to my horror the next day they developed into HUGE lumps, all 20 of them, all over my back and my legs. My husband was badly bitten too but he laid on a beach mat so it wasnt as severe. In the end i had to see the hotel doctor and she gave me an oilment to relieve the itchiyness saying this was common all over malaysia. Now, i have been to many remote island resorts in malaysia and have NEVER experienced such a rash. The doctor said it would heal in 10 days. Let me say it took almost 2 weeks after i returned home for the itichiness and rash to completely go down and now my back is completely scarred (not that i scratched it) and it will probably take some time for the scarring to heal. This has put me off lying on a beach directly. It didnt help we literally soaked ourselves in repellent beforehand and i usually dont get bitten at all, so be careful of the beaches in Tioman and make sure you only sunbathe on a deckchair and not on the sands.

Sesto Calende, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

I have been in Tioman in August 2006 and I have been hit by sand flies. They are on the beach.

Hamburg
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

We were on Tioman in July 2009 and were bitten by sandflies. We didn't actually see the sandflies and since you only notice the bites a few hours later you don't really have a chance to react immediately. These bites are still itchy today - six weeks after I got them and I can't remember a single night in which I didn't wake up scratching my back...

I'd recommend avoiding Tioman since it appears to be the only island with such a bad sandfly problem in Malaysia. Go to the Perhentians instead and try to find one of the few beaches they haven't ruined by building a giant ugly jetty in the middle of the beach yet... Unfortunately Long Beach lost its charme completely but on Besar you'll still find some nice places. Hurry up though... ;-)

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

having been to 8 asian countrys ,have to say that malaysia has the worst sandfly problems .a friend recently went to redang and had big problems with them ,also some on langkawi but they dont trouble me much..

Albany, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Flies in Tioman

The sand flies are in the sand !!!! I guess that's why they are called sand flies

If you stay off the beach you will be fine, my wife sat on the sand for 15 mins and same as above came off with 50 bites. I only walked across the beach to the water and got maybe 4 or 5 bits in two weeks

Drown yourself in one of the recommended oils if you want to sit on the beach appears to be the advice