We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

Indian Rocks Beach...
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

Hello. My understanding is that December is monsoon season on Tioman. Have been reading about weather in Malaysia and I live in a tropical country with monsoon seasons myself. However, Tioman hotels are full or almost full. Does this mean that people are taking a chance or that the monsoon means only a couple of hours of rain during the day and otherwise, the sun shines? Or are so many people misinformed about the weather pattern? Has anyone out there been to Tioman in December? I do understand that no one can guarantee anything when it comes to weather, but wonder if anyone out there has first hand experience. Any input is much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

In my opinion, monsoon is not just about the rain but rough seas. It can be really dangerous.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

Hi,

Monsoon season on the east coast of West Malaysia varies in intensity and it does not mean it rains all the time or the seas so rough as to be unpassable.

Worse case scenario- it might rain continuosly for several days but even then the rainfall varies from being light,moderate to heavy. Or you get overcast skys throughout the day for a few days. Or you get intermittent sunshine for few hrs and rain for few hrs.

Dec month is also the long school holidays and some locals and foreigners are willing to risk it to go to the islands- Tioman, Redang, Perhentian etc. The seabed is less clear for snorkeling and there's the risk of being stranded on the islands for1-2days or more if sea conditions make the ferry crossing impassable. And flights to Tioman are less frequent during monsoon season.

I went to Perhentian last January on seeing the weather conditions being better for a few days and after some enquiring at the Kuala Besut jetty.

Indian Rocks Beach...
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

Thank you. Being stranded is an issue since we must be back for work. Thanks. After considering all factors, we have cancelled our reservation.

Kuantan, Malaysia
Level Contributor
178 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

I think you have made a wise decision. Most of the resorts on the islands of tioman, redang and perhention close from mid oct till mid feb because of the monsoon.

As stated by one of the above, there are very limited ferry services during this time as the seas get very rough.

The best time to plan a trip to these islands would be april to august.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

Ditto on a wise decision to cancel for December.

Tioman is a lovely island; we really enjoyed the snorkelling and diving there but we were there around late Apr/early May (from memory) so the sea was calm and the water clear and warm.

Hope you get to go there another time to savour the beauty!

Bukavu, Democratic...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

Tioman in December is a really bad idea; not only because of the weather but all the resorts scale back drastically. Restaurants are closed, bungalows are locked up and the island is notably deserted. The dive operators close and we've had very poor days even limiting our ability to snorkel. It is a definite no go and should not be considered a suitable Christmas destination.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

I completely agree with Tozzi21. We just got back from a trip to Tioman (December 21-24) and while the snorkeling was still great, the resort (Berjaya) was just as was described- very scaled back and pretty empty. Additionally, departing in the 48 year old propeller plane to head back to Singapore nearly didn't happen- delayed 4 hours due to rain. I would definitely choose a different time of year.

Johor Bahru...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

Hi,

May I know any issue to go Tioman in Feb? Said during CNY?

Ipoh, Malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

hi there, i am aza, i have stayed in tioman about few years back in december due to my practical training..and it was not that bad of a monsoon season to me, i was still able to go swimming in the evening after my work and i did that every single day..unless if its raining heavily..because i am alone there, so i have to be really careful..however, now me and my husband (got married recently) are going to go there for our very first honeymoon..and i really hope that things are still the same there especially the december weather.. i have called a resort there and they say i can just walk in for there are not that many tourists during this season, and believe it or not, the room rates are 50% cheaper than the non-monsoon season..huhu..we only have some free time now for our honeymoon, so be it the monsoon or storm, we will have to enjoy the vacation our way! wish me luck!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tioman in December- Monsoon is a factor, but....

Hi Azalia209, I do wish you good luck and good fortune. Lovely spot, is Tioman.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year and I hope you have a fabulous honeymoon! :)