We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

Is it necessary to pre-book ferry tickets from Mersing to Tioman? Or can you just wing it? (Bussing up from Singapore). Saw the ferry booking site online...limited seats etc...please book and pay now. Travelling there in June. Any advice welcome...tx.

California
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

Has anyone taken the ferry lately? I would really appreciate it if anyone can post the ferry time table from Mersing to Tioman and return. We are travelling in June, just need to know the "planned" schedule knowing the ferry is not on time. Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
602 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

Bluewater ferry - you need to improve your services 3x, it is always delayed, and overcrowding on ferry boats ! i just returned on one of your ferries !

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

Hey Guys :) I am planning a Trip to Tioman in October.. How often does the ferry operate by that time and is the island recommandable in october (19th - 23rd). Should we book ferry tickets in advance?

Thank you so much..

Olli

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

Hi there! I am planning a trip to Tioman between 30 Nov - 2 Dec. Please advise on if this time will be OK to travel there despite this being a rainy season already. I was just thinking since this is early Dec, it might still be OK. Please suggest.

Any idea what will the ferry timings and frequency be around that time?

Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
602 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

Hi Oliver, if you avoid the weekends, there is no need to book. This applies to outward and return journey. On a Monday morning return ferry (Tioman - Mersiing), the earlier ferry was cancelled and hence the next ferry was overcrowded. But do plan to go earlier than just before the sailing time. If you check the bluewater ferry site, there is a Malaysian HP number that you can call to ask for information. Sailing times depends on the tide, at Mersing. By the way, there is another departure ferry port near to Endau.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
602 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

traversenea: Period November till March every year is the North East monsoon season. The result is frequent intense, heavy rain and very choppy seas. In fact the monsoon has already started in Singapore. Avoid if possible. Many facilities are also shut down for the year, opening only in end March or early April.

SG
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

DONT GET SCAMMED BY THIS WEBSITE >>> http://www.tiomanferry.com/

They might look professional and the cellphone number attached is a working number, the dudes name is Bryan norman apparently but he spoke to me 5 days ago in a philipino ascent. this scammer finger his voice over phone or hired some innocent worker to be the middle man. when we reached mersing jetty, we found out that we could buy ferry tickets on the spot from many counters except for what we have pre ordered, its not even there! kind locals told us its a scam they ever set up stalls illegally just to sell fake tickets and run with tourists money! don't buy your tickets online!!! buy it straight from messing bus station!

so the ferry i took was called bluewater express and this and if there are any other ferry service that day, they all leave in the morning, sometimes 530am, sometimes 630,730,1130, the timing is never the same because they operate according to tide and wind. so your best bet is to go during hot season, if you are going during monsoon like i did, you just gotta be at the jetty (walkable from any part of mersing) extremely early. THERE IS ONLY 1 FERRY EVERY MORNING (TIME SUBJECTIVE) TO TIOMAN ISLANDS JETTYS. be sure to get off on the right jetty by asking the locals. they are very nice people if you are nice to them. please help yourselves with the luggages and ask if you are not sure where to put them, its not their responsibility to handle your crap so don't be rude to them or assume they are the packers. they are locals who are going to work on the island while you are going for your vacation!

to get to tioman you can buy one way tickets or return tickets from the shophouse next to the bus station where bluewater express is located, or from the stalls at the interchange itself. you will be greeted by many cats. you can ask the janitor for stories about where they come from, and he feeds them daily, sharing his food with them. bringing cat treats is highly recommended but please be careful they can be feisty due to hunger.

So Please, if anyone wants to go to tioman, take maju or transnational coach service from sg to mersing straight, alternatively, you can wing it by taking a bus to woodlands checkpoint, get on bus to larkin, and find another bus to merging from larkin. it takes you the same amount of time travelling by coach and a lot less pricey. there is the occasional bus delays but not too long at each bus station... once you get to mersing, find a nice place to stay (whole of merging is walkable on foot in just under 45 minutes, many many budget hotels and eateries, bakery, even a kfc. )

IF you visit tioman without booking a chalet or resort or accommodation, IT IS PERFECTLY COST EFFECTIVE AND FINE. there are many many places to stay. during the monsoon there are a few that may close its doors on big rowdy groups, but generally they are locals living there and you can still find a room or two. A piece of advice from conversing with a local veteran/fisherman, do remember its a muslim country so if you are a backpacker or simply want to experience cultural exchange and local kampong hospitality, don't bring pork in or drink in their houses. the families on the island are more than happy to welcome you to live in their house/guestroom and they are the best because at a rate you guys negotiate on, they will cook and welcome you to join in for meals. so a budget chalet loses out right where your tummy is ;) that being said, there are convenient stores gift shops and fresh fruits and vegetables, very affordable. so buying groceries for the locals for an entire day for a kampong family of 3-5 including you and your friends could be equivalent to the price of 2 KFC meal in Singapore. how nice is that?!

Just remember, do not get scammed, because i did, by tiomanferry.com it is a fabricated website and you can easily wing it by getting from singapore>woodlandscheckpoint>larkin bus station malaysia>messing jetty>tioman. if you wing it you could save $40SGD-$60SGD. that is currently about 150RM , which could rent you a car ride from teket to juara, as well as a bicycle for 2 days, and motorbike for an entireday, and snorkeling equipments for 3days? do keep in mind everything is less pricey during monsoon months, and 2-3 times more expensive during peak periods from march to august. if you happen to be there when the town is overcrowded, you might be charged 25rm for a soft drink (but this rarely happens) unless their convenient stores are dried up by tourists and they have to take the next morning's ferry out to buy stuff in and take another day to get it back? haha just be humble, be sincerely, give if you can afford to, don't be stingy with cash it is truly a nice experience on a pristine island so go all out! i had to explore tekek and juara on foot because i got cheated by the online tiomanferry booking thing which i paid almost double for, as a result i had to re buy my ferry tickets and could not rent a motorbike or carpool with other tourists to be driven by a local young lad across the island. (there are your paciks and abangs driving picking you up from place to place and you can negotiate a cheaper price if you are truly on a budget and only if its the non peak period you are visiting(its only right).

Trekking from tekek to juara on the mainroad is a killer. 4hrs30mins? unless you start in the wee hours of the morning, don't think about trekkking back after dark. TREK ON THE TREKING PATH INSTEAD FROM NEAR THE MOSQUE. there might be ways still under construction due to recent landslides and monsoon season, but it shouldn't take you more than 2 and a half hours. it is also safer and less steep. there are no roadsigns except for arrow to tekek and arrow to juara, so, do follow the overhead cables, follow it, it leads all the way to the other side so you cannot get lost. (unless you trek via the road for bike and cars path) there are bigger and more beautiful places of accommodation on juara great spot for surfing, turtle watching during turtle season and nice place to breathe in the south china sea breeze. there is almost nothing in the horizon beyond the sea, but there is only one beach. there are paths which leads to small water falls and catchments but currently they are not too well paved due to some handover of the tour to the waterfalls and construction to built new bridges and mid point shelters after the monsoon landslides in early jan 2015. Despite all that, the waters are still crystal clear and top of the treks are still mysterious and cooling. it probably dropped to 19 degree celsius 3 days ago and don't worry about occasionally 5-15 minute drizzles, it is high up so condensation happens pretty often, if in doubt about the weather and clouds and if you should ride up or not, you can always get a local to follow you up on his own motorbike, if you want to trek in dubious weather, consult locals (every other house have a full package service you can choose from and knowledgable people who can guide you if they are not at work.) trekking guide are everywhere.

marine life park is not operating during monsoon but you can still go in for a swim with the tremendous species of sea creatures and coral reefs, but do bring your own fins or rubber safety shoes/ wetsuit because when no one is looking after your safety, you can get cut by the rusty stairs pretty easily. or a towel or two to coat the sides of the ways leading down to the sea. be mindful it is a conservation venue so do not taunt the fishes. they can get pretty big and intimidating. and swim within the ropes and floats, you never know when a tide can suddenly come in and currents sweep you out if you jump into the waters outside the rink. my advice is, if you are a first timer snorkelling or being in water with live animals, don't do it until monsoon season is over and when guides are on job again. you can't swim to shore because there will be corals near the bay and you don't wanna step on them. the museum is open tho you can go take a look but its more for kids. goodluck ad have fun!!! =) hope this helps

-JJ

Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

simply awesome post! very spot on, thanks JJ! i had a wonderful time getting to know the locals who brought me to see flying foxes ( they are huge by the way, batman for real) and mouse deers. i even got to fish with some of the locals and we had red snapper for dinner that night. thank you for sharing , hope more people would see the good in tioman rather than complaining about everything :) just to add cos it happened to me, if you get sea sick easily, sit at the back of the ferry or you can also go out the stern for fresh air and flying sting rays! adios

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

May I ask how often does the ferry come to Mersing jetty? Is it every 2 hours?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
602 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ferry, Mersing to Pulau Tioman Malaysia.

Firstly you need to understand that ferries from Mersing operate at times dependent on the tide. Mersing is a shallow port / river mouth, and the large ferries come in only at high tides. While saying that, there are enough trips per day for you to chose from.

Jeremy Hooper: if you intend to travel on Saturday and Sunday, or on a Malaysian public holiday, then you need to book ahead or else you will be disappointed. Other than that weekdays are relatively OK. Note that ferry departure times are irregular because of the tide. You may wish to call a telephone number on the booking website to "book" a ticket without payment.