We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore to Tioman??

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore to Tioman??

Hi I'm planning a 2 week trip to Malaysia next July and we hope to got to Singapore and perhaps a coastal / island area with beach and activities and some culture.. Tioman island seems to be coming up alot.

Amy reccommendations for 2 weeks???

Thanks a million in advance :)

Singapore, null...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore to Tioman??

hi we are driving from singapore to mersing then ferry over to pulau tioman isle. all ready booked paya resort there from 17 12 2013 to 19 12 2013. and advise and comments pls advise, thks,,,,,,

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore to Tioman??

Berjaya is a decent 3 star resort. What is your price range? As suggested above you can drive to Mersing and get the ferry or you can catch a bus.

Easiest way is to fly though, takes under an hour.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
907 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore to Tioman??

Hi,

I have been to Perhentian Islands, Redang and Tioman islands off east coast of Malaysia and loved all them. If you look up my postings you will find trip reports for all of them that may give you an idea on what you may like best of these.

I've also been to Penang but it was late 90's so others would be better placed to advise you if you headed that way.

Langkawi is also nice and has a fair bit to do (plus add in a day trip or overnight trip to Ko Lipe island - most southern Thai island as that is beautiful).

Tioman is an easy flight from Singapore (as is Redang). I think Berjaya may even fly between the two.

Perhentians are not direct and have no airport so have to go through Kota Bharu first then a 1/2 hour speed boat. All have good snorkelling and nice beaches (our fave's though were Perhentian's).

Redang is easily seen in 3+ nights. Tioman you need 3 or 4. Perhentian islands is still worth going for 4 nights but longer if possible would be even better.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

Edited: 08 November 2013, 02:16
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
211 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore to Tioman??

Hi Wishtago. Your comments above are very helpful. I am planning a trip to malaysia for my fiance and I for July 2014 and we plan on visiting and staying on Tioman, Redang and Perhentian Kecil. I would be really interested in your reviews for these different islands as we are really battling to decide how much time we should spend on each. We planned on 3 nights on Redang, 4 on perhentian Kecil and 5 nights on Tioman. Now I'm thinking that maybe we should spend more time on the Perhentians. Any recommendations for beach huts / resorts for the various islands? Many thanks. Kim

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
907 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore to Tioman??

Hi Kim,

I am jealous LOL. :)

Sounds like a lovely honeymoon.

Hubby and I's personal preference given you have 12 nights would be to keep the 3 on Redang (that's about perfect) and swap Tioman to 4 nights and Perhentian Kecil to 5 nights. This is only because you can also go over to Perhentian Besar on the little water taxi (only takes a few mins) and can also do lovely snorkel trips to other close islands so there is a bit more to do overall. We found the walking tracks easier, and more of the, on Perhentian's too which were nice to stroll along.

Click on my name and you will find a complete review of Redang and a complete review of the Perhentians dated around April/May 2013. My complete review of Tioman is dated around May of 2011 or 2012 (can't remember right now which year I went)!

For accoms I think you should read the reviews of each place to get a feel for them. The reviews I read for each of the places I stayed were pretty spot on overall (cutting out the extremes at each edge). I stayed in budget places. I am unsure of your budget, but if it is a bit above backpacker standard you will find really nice places on all three.

Send me a PM to remind me to answer you more fully over the next few days as I'm a bit tied up for a day or two. Cheers... :)

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
211 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore to Tioman??

Many thanks for that. I have sent you a message as well with a few more questions which I'm hoping you can get to when you have a little more time. PS - we also plan on spending 3 nights (2 1/2 days in Penang) and I note that you weren't mad about it. I think it sounds great and being a bit of a foodie i thought that it might be nice to spend some time there. But again, I would appreciate your advice on what's good and what's not about it and whether we should go there at all. Just so you know, we were in Thailand last year and we fell in love with Bangkok even though others had said to us that it's just another big, dirty city ;-).

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore to Tioman??

Hi, I've been to Penang and Tioman but not Perhentians...

Penang is a foodies dream. We love our food and out of the 1.5 yrs we spent travelling Penang was in the top 2 or 3 places for food! The food markets are immense, Little India has sensational curries and the Chinese area has the best chinese food I have ever had the pleasure to eat!

Beaches aren't great on Penang, for food it is superb! Also it might be worth a visit to the Easern and Oriental Hotel as it's your honeymoon - it's expensive but the service/cocktails are amazing. We only went there for some cocktails but if you can afford to stay there that would be an amazing place for a honeymoon!

Good luck!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
907 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore to Tioman??

Hi Ken,

It's a LONG time since I was at Penang and I wasn't as well travelled through Asia then as I am now so I would disregard my thoughts on Penang (who knows, I may go there again myself to give it a 2nd opinion one day LOL). As Faceman says, and many others over the past few years, it is apparently a foodies dream so if you are a bit of a foodie then I'd definitely include Penang and that way you will know for yourself!

Faceman's description (above) is making my mouth water.

BTW, we also love Bangkok. Yep, big and dirty in parts but also vibrant and fun. Hubby and I LOVE Thailand (although I've only got to the bottom half several times and yet to get to the northern parts as I flew over those to backpack down through Laos). Oh well, one day...

My next trip is April/May/June next year for 7 weeks - 3 of those in the Greek islands then 4 weeks driving a car around Italy and other places with another couple. A real departure from Asia. We went bareboat yachting around the Sth Dalmation islands of Croatia and Montenegro last year and LOVED it so we are a little sidetracked from Asia at present haha.

I will look at your PM as soon as I can and answer whatever questions you''ve posed tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers, :)

9. Re: Singapore to Tioman??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Pulau Tioman
Recent Conversations