We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Mabul / Sipadan?

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
How safe is Mabul / Sipadan?

We have booked our trip to Mabul + Sipadan, but are still concerned about the travel warnings. Should we change destination to KK to be safe, or stick with Mabul + Sipadan? Also worried that our travel insurance may not cover us if we travel here...

Singapore
Level Contributor
291 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Mabul / Sipadan?

That depends what exactly you're worried about. Malaria? Local Resort Diving Practices? Pirates? Island Hygiene?

I took my Granny (she's 81) to Mabul in May. She worries about all of the above, (plus things like "Will coconuts fall on my head?" and "What if I fall out of my hammock and break my hip?" ) She had a great time both at the resort and snorkeling with me.

I could offer advice and reassurance on all of the above, but a clearer idea of what "Travel Warnings" you're concerned about would help.

You'll need to read the fine print of your insurance to discover where and what you are covered for.

Hope this helps....

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
299 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Mabul / Sipadan?

I think you're more likely to have a close encounter with Nurhazlina's granny's fear of falling coconuts than you are with the Australian and US travel warnings about the eastern parts of Sabah.

The travel warnings were never removed following a few kidnapping incidents between 2000 and 2003, because the extremist groups remain active in the southern Philippines. However, because of the huge amount of negative publicity the incidents garnered for Malaysia, the borders and especially the islands are closely monitored by the security forces and there have been no incidents since 2003.

The yearly renewal and the stubborn refusal of these governments to lift the travel warning remain a thron in the side of Sabah's tourism industry.

You will be as safe in Mabul / Sipadan as you would in KK, or Melbourne, or New York, or Cape Town, or, etc. etc.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Mabul / Sipadan?

I feel a lot safer in Sabah than i ever did in London or New York !

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is Mabul / Sipadan?

Thanks guys, puts my mind at ease!

5. Re: How safe is Mabul / Sipadan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 06:46