We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open Water cert OK for Sipadan? And where to stay?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Open Water cert OK for Sipadan? And where to stay?

Hi, we are 2 fairly inexperienced divers with just the Open Water certificate (18m). We have been on 5 diving trips all to different countries but only have 30 dives each. We have good buoyancy control/air consumption but are not experienced with strong currents.

Will we be able to dive at Sipadan?

And if so, is there a particular resort to stay at which gives you the best chance of getting a permit? Looking at going early October for 4 or 5 nights. Thinking of Mabul Water Bungalows, Mataking, Sipadan Water Village, Sipadan Mabul Resort or Kapalai Resort.

Many thanks!

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open Water cert OK for Sipadan? And where to stay?

Hi there. I m quite similar to you. I only have about 40 logged dives after being certified in 2005. Out of those, about 6 dives were done in Sipadan. Now, if I'm not mistaken, Sipadan has 10-12 documented dive sites surrounding the island. In my opinion, only 2 sites are considered "hard" - the fabled Barracuda Point and Turtle Cavern; the latter, I think requires advanced OW or so.

From my experience, the dives were easy except at Barracuda Point where the strong current attracts the school of barracuda in tornado formation (if you see any brochures showing thousands of barracuda in circular motion, chances are the photos were taken here).

I wish I could address all your other questions but I haven't done Sipadan for some years now. May I suggest you also read the Scubaboard forum under Malaysia/Singapore topic. Plenty of recent experiences of Sipadan being shared over there.

Hope you will go on with your plan and I wish you all the fun. I sure miss the exciting dives at Sipadan.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open Water cert OK for Sipadan? And where to stay?

Many thanks for your reply - that's a great forum, I had not seen it before.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open Water cert OK for Sipadan? And where to stay?

As my knowledge SWV give you the best chance of getting permits to Sipadan.

Only Advanced Diver or Open with minimun 20 dives logged are allowed to dive there.

4. Re: Open Water cert OK for Sipadan? And where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 19:15