We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leech sock and lovely wellies

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
130 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Leech sock and lovely wellies

Will the above be provided for in the majority of river lodges along the river near Sandakan? I'm staying at Barefoot Sukau and have emailed them. Does anybody have an tips of what to bring along on these walks. If they don't provide the leech socks are they worth buying for only 2 jungle walks in your opinions? They are like 30 euro a pair! They are very fetching though. Maybe i can wear them when i get home as a fashion accessory :o)

Mentioned in this post
Sandakan
Sandakan
Sandakan Division, Malaysia
Perth
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Leech sock and lovely wellies

Hi

The lodge we stayed at had them for rent (just a few ringits) they were like a simple sack with a string at the top to secure them but effective.

My girlfriend would have paid a 1000 Euros at the time as it had just been raining and they were everywhere !

Malaysia
Level Contributor
385 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leech sock and lovely wellies

Hi,

We do a lot of jungle trekking in the Peninsula Malaysia but the leeches are all the same. Here are some tips that you may find helpful.

Don't spend Euro 30 for leech proof socks. You can locally made ones (serves the purpose just as good)fo a tenth of the price.

To those who find leech proof socks a bother, we use "Mosi-guard", incidently a UK made natural insect repellent that apparent studies have shown to be effective against leeches. Members of our group have tried it on may occassions and it is as effective as wearing leech proof socks. Spray it on your feets/legs, socks and your shoes. It is available in most pharmacies and supermarkets.

Alternatively, what many locals do here is to spray "Baygon" (a few dollars) - an insect spray on your socks and outer shoes.

Even those wearing leech proof socks spray on the above as added 'security'.

You have a good trip.

FootyBoy

Mentioned in this post
Malaysia
Level Contributor
385 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leech sock and lovely wellies

Oh yes, one more thing - for the benefit of those who may not already know.

Even those wearing leech proof socks do get bitten sometimes. Sometimes on the hands and around the waist depending whether you have contact with the water/ground. So, bring along a scahet of salt or the mosguard spray. If you are bitten, don't peel off the leech. Just sprinkle some salt and it will just wriggle out and drop off. That way, the bite heals faster and there won't be a tear on the skin.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
130 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leech sock and lovely wellies

Thanks for those anwers. I might save my money and use a old plastic bag instead lol . Like you say you can be bitten anywhere not just the lower limb. I'll cover up as much as possible but i'm not letting some leech sock manufacturer get rich selling me a lump of old plastic in the shape of a sock. Thanks!

5. Re: Leech sock and lovely wellies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 07:21