We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

Which Sandakan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

I am trying to avoid the package tour route. We are 6 adults travelling in May 2010. Plan at this stage:

1 night Paganakan Dii

am Transfer to Labuk Bay for monkey viewing

pm Transfer to Kinabatangan - Myne Resort

1 night Myne Resort

Return transfer to Paganakan Dii

1 night Paganakan Dii

1 night Selingan Turtle Island (confirmed booking)

What is the best way to travel for the 6 or us without getting involved in a 'group tour'. We would like to be as independent as possible. Is this feasible??

Thanks.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

Yes, I believe you can do it independantly.

You will need to hire a van for the land transfer. I remember reading at Panganakan Dii's web site that they can help to arrange for transfer. But it should be cheaper if you charter the whole van for yourselves (instead of being charged as per person). How will you be travelling to Paganakan Dii? You may hire the same driver for the subsequent land transfers.

For Kinabatangan, you can charter a boat (maximum 6 people) for a 3 hour river cruise. I have managed to obtain a local boatman contact. I am going in April.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

Thanks for your reply! Can I arrange hire of a van with driver before arriving in Sandakan or is only possible to do this after arriving? Having contacted Myne Resort, I was directed to a Sandakan travel agency, by them for a package tour. This is not really what we want. Just transfers to and from. I have to admit it is a little frustrating. Any further info? Thanks

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

There are 3 of us, we will arrive in Sandakan around mid-day and most likely will stay overnight in Sandakan, after spending the afternoon doing some city sightseeing. Hopefully, by then I am able to find and book a taxi driver for the following day for our day trip to Kampung Sukau (for the Kinabatangan river cruise). At the moment, what I have found out is the cost of a return trip (per taxi).

Since there are 6 of you, it is better to pre arrange for your transport. Would be nice if you can find one service provider that operates on it's own and not through the tour agent. You may want to try to go through the directory listing at the Sabah tourism's web site, or search for "car/van hire with driver in Sandakan" from local search site, eg Yahoo! Malaysia. Good luck to you.

I can understand the frustation of getting the relevant info. Somehow, not much info on how to go about travelling independantly for this part of the world.. So far, most of my searches lead me to tour packages either by the tour company or as a service offered by the hotel.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

Thanks again for your reply. I will certainly try searching for 'car/van hire with driver' on a local Malaysion search site, I hadn't thought of that. Good luck with your trip in April. Enjoy!! Thanks again for the very helpful reply.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
466 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

Hi,

Rather than flying from KK to Sandakan, I propose you to hire a van from KK & will save you lots more for the air flight tickets. Not only saving on that but also enjoying the beautiful scenery of Mount Kinabalu in different angles along the journey.

The itenary I proposed at this thread might help:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303997-i9921-k287…

If you need to add something, just let me know & I'm more than happy to assist you.

I recommend you to travel by road rather than by flite within Sabah as along your journey, there are many nature & wildlife things to experience.

There are few option to travel in Sabah:

Rent & drive - approx RM150 for Proton wira / satria (larger than Viva / saga) & RM90 for perodua kancil. Better to rent a car from KK city centre rather than at the airport.

Another option is to rent a car with driver rather than without driver as it's not much different. Normally a car rental with driver will cost around RM200 / day (they will work for 10 hours a day. for additional hours just ask them for some tips & mostly they will be more than happy to do that). All inclusve for a rental within KK area.

If outside KK area, gasoline, driver meals & accomodation (if required) will be renter cost. This service is normally by a smaller private company who operates homestay, that is why it's very small different than hiring a car (w/o driver) at the airport. If you check, it's only about RM50 different. What you get for this extra RM50?

1. No need to drive thus you can enjoy the beautiful scenery or sleep?

2. You'll not miss any other attraction as they'll know better.

3. save your time to ask around about your destination.

4. More destinations can be visited as they know better etc.

Regards

Melbourne
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

Thank you for your very detailed reply. We would certainly consider using a car/van with driver, from Sandakan as we have already booked our flights from KK to Sandakan. If you can help with a contact for this, I would like to consider doing this leg of the trip this way rather than with an organised tour. Thanks again. Happy New Year!!

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
466 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

Hi Buddee58,

It's my pleasure. Unfortunately, I have no contacts of a reputable driver from sandakan to KK. You can try to charter public transport from Sandakan to view the nice scenrey along the journey. Ask him to drop you to the locations I mentioned like fish massage in the river (about 1.5 hours from Sandakan), Poring Hotspring (further 30 minutes), War Memorial Kundasang ( further 1 hour). Along the journey you'll also view the different angles of Mount Kinabalu which is very nice.

Regards

Melbourne
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

I will certainly look into it! Thanks again!

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
466 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

It's my pleasure.

Happy travelling and enjoy!

Regards

10. Re: Transfers to and from Labuk Bay, Kinabatangan from Sepilok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2010, 05:16