We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

Which Sandakan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
*Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

Hey guys.

with your assistance and knowledge you will help make this trip very special. its for a honeymoon and we want it to be cost-effective as possible, so the things i can do without tour companies is better for us as the Lankiyan island will be bear alot of cost.

please let me know if i am being unrealistic and any other recommendations, if i need to spread attractions over an extra day? if somethings are worth missing out?

With my flight to and from Sandakan (i can either arrive morning/evening from kuala lumpar)

DAY 1 THURSDAY- ARRIVE IN SANDAKAN *evening. Stay at Sepilok Forest Edge Resort (close to attractions)

DAY 2 FRIDAY: VISIT

Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary

Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary

Rainforest Discovery Centre (RDC)

DAY 3 SATURDAY: Visit

Kinabatangan River (is this worth doing? can we do this as a day activity? or it best staying overnight?)

DAY 4 SUNDAY : Sandakan Crocodile Farm or Sandakan Heritage Trail or Sandakan Memorial Park

Day 5 MONDAY : Lankiyan Islands / overnight stay

Day 6 TUESDAY: Lankiyan Islands / overnight stay

DAY 7: WEDNESDAY Lankiyan Islands / overnight stay

(i have been quoted as MYR 1,838.00 per person for 3 nights including fees. is this a good price?)

----

DAY 8: THURSDAY Flight from Sandakan to Kuala Lumpar 10.30am) *possibility of evening flight*

DAY 9 FRIDAY: Leave Kuala Lumpar / England

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

Hi,

you itinerary looks great to me! I have not stayed at Sepilok Forest Edge Resort, but i could highly recommend Sepilok Nature Resort which i have recently stayed.

Kinabatangan River is one of the highlight tours in Sandakan, overnight is well-recommended. As you get to see different type of animal during morning & evening cruises.

For Lankayan, the the priced quoted is inclusive of Conservation Fees for Reef Guardian, then its good bargain.

Nickie

2. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 July 2011, 05:18
Edited: 27 July 2011, 05:18
birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

(Lankiyan) is this the fee 25myr per day. yes that's included.

(Sepilok Nature Resort) - is near the orangatung sanctuary / attractions etc?

(Kinabatangan River) is one of the highlight tours in Sandakan, overnight is well-recommended""

Is this worth being organised whilst i'm out there or can i make a booking at a reasonable price from the U.K?

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

Hi wakkaday,

Yes, then Lankayan package is a bargain.

Sepilok Nature Resort is right next to Sepilok Rehabilitation Centre, check out the reviews of this resort in Tripadvisor.

Kinabatangan River, it is suggested for you to search around, get both quotations from both UK & local agents here in Sabah.

Best is to book before you get there, then you'll be sure you get on this river trip, and also get your trip organised.

Nickie

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

Definitely include Kinabatangan. I would overnight if possible. If you're staying at SFER (we did and really enjoyed it), they also run the KJC (well it's a husband and wife team) so can arrange a trip on the Kinabatangan for you. KJC is very basic (but great for wildlife viewing) so if you would rather not "rough it" on your honeymoon, then you can do it as a day trip although the overnight option allows you to do a night boat trip which is worth doing. Ask for a price from Annie (or whoever you are dealing with at SFER).

Sepilok Nature resort also offer day trips as we met a couple staying there when we were in Lankayan but I know the price they were quoted for the day trip seemed very, very expensive to us. But maybe if you negotiate in advance, you can get a better deal.

birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

Ok i'm convinced. I think Kinabatangan is worth doing. I will email the resort for details.

Another question.

the ferry from lankiyan island leaves at 7am and arrives at Sandakan at 8.30am

Is it likely i can get the flight that Morning from Sandakan airport at 10.30am?

How long it will take to the get to the airport / check-in etc..

birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

How would i go on about booking: Sepilok Nature Resort? I think this is much nicer.

Thanks guys.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

http://sepilok.com/

Wakkaday, the same company owns Lankayan and Sepilok Nature Resort, so you should be able to book them both in one go. Or you could use a company like divedownbelow.

Sepilok Nature Resort should be able to offer the kinabatangan day trip from you but Nicky (Sabah Girl) might know of cheaper local contacts.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

Hi wakkaday,

you should do fine with 10.30am boat, just inform Lankayan's staff on your flight schedule, they will take care of it.

Yes, get a few local tour agents to quote you, that includes Lankayan, Sepilok Nature Resort & Kinabatangan, guess you'll get a cheaper deal in a bundle.

Nickie

birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: *Final* Sandakan/Lankiyan Island Intinery. Is this viable?

ok thanks guys

so i definately can get my 10.30am flight if i arrive at sandakan yacht club at 8.30am approximately. the airport is about 20 minutes away according to google maps...

how long do i have to checked in by?

thanks