We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Sepilok Orangutan/Labuk Bay Proboscis Sanctuaries

Which Sandakan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Basingstoke
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Transport Sepilok Orangutan/Labuk Bay Proboscis Sanctuaries

We are staying in Kota Kinabalu the end of next month. There are 4 adults. Looking at booking a flight from KK to Sandakan to go to Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary and then Labuk Bay Proboscis Sanctuary. Finding it hard to get info on transport airport/Sepilok/Labuk (or even swapping round Sepilok and Labuk. The best I can find is complete day tours but they are expensive and we are quite happy in organising ourselves rather than have the restrictions of a day trip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Sepilok Orangutan/Labuk Bay Proboscis Sanctuaries

Hi pwilliamson,

Firstly, you can get a taxi to take you from Sandakan Airport to Sandakan Town, you options are:

1) Hire the same taxi driver to take you around for sight seeing (not sure about the rates, as it is not fixed, pretty much depends on the driver)

2) There is shuttle to take you to Sepilok and Labuk from town, check out their website and also Sabah Tourism for more info.

http://www.proboscis.cc/

sabahtourism.com/sabah-malaysian-borneo/…

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Sepilok Orangutan/Labuk Bay Proboscis Sanctuaries

Another option is rent a car at airport and selfdrive, not so expensive.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
132 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Sepilok Orangutan/Labuk Bay Proboscis Sanctuaries

We have been having the same issue. I can't believe the mark up of the travel companies and then I'm having a difficult time getting anyone to respond back. I've looked for many quotes for a car rental. Today I found Boreno Express web is borneocar.com. They appear to have a location at the Sandakan airport. I tried all the others listed in the forum and have had no luck. Hopefully, I will get a confirmation from them. Good Luck.

4. Re: Transport Sepilok Orangutan/Labuk Bay Proboscis Sanctuaries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:16