We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from KK to Sandakan

Which Sandakan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mortdale, New South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from KK to Sandakan

Can anyone advise of travel options from KK to Sandakan?

Considering getting a car/driver for the trip to take in some of the sights.

How long would this take & how much would I expect to pay?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from KK to Sandakan

It is a 6 - 8 hour drive from KK to Sandakan. You go right over the main mountain range. It is a 300km plus trip. Looking at sights? Do you want to go the Kinabalu Park, Poring Hot Springs etc. You pass the entrance to both of these and through many villages and towns. If so you will need to overnight somewhere.

More information please.

Sandakan, Malaysia
Level Contributor
49 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from KK to Sandakan

it would be cheaper if you took a mas/maswing/airasia flight from kk to sandakan.. rather than hire a driver/rent car

Kampar, Malaysia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from KK to Sandakan

In case of taking some sight between KK and Sandakan, I would suggest you to take a bus. It's way far more cheaper than taking a taxi or hire driver. The bus ticket costs less than RM30 / $10 dollar each person. The journey would take approximate 6-8 hours from KK to Sandakan, depends on weather and the traffic.

I would suggest you to take the bus at 12pm or earlier. If you are not staying at the town centre then I suggest you to drop at Mile 4 in Sandakan, you could find a lot of cheap motel or homestay around there. Taxi are easy to be found around Mile 4.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from KK to Sandakan

hi Geoff depending on how long you have all up I would definitely fly from KK to Sandakan. Stay up that way do the sights in that area then back to KK where you can then make your way to Mt Kinabalu, poring hot springs etc. Not sure there is much to see between Mt Kinabalu and Sandakan other than palm oil plantations - I could be wrong have never taken that drive.

I'd do a bit more research and see exactly what you want to see and go from there.

good luck :-)

5. Re: Travel from KK to Sandakan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:15