We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

Derry, United...
1 post
Save Topic
perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

Hi all, I am travelling to KL this summer and hoping to go to an island I am thinking langkawi, penang or perhentian islands. The perhentian islands have been highly recommended but I am having trouble booking accommodation as the 'good' places all seem booked out :(

can someone please recommend which island would be the best to visit and which resort would be the nicest to stay at

all help and ideas greatly appreciated

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
746 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

If you are going primarily for diving, the Perhentians are best out of your options. But they aren't pampering resort islands, Where are you trying to book?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

Hi Catherine,

It will depend on what you want to do. If you want to scuba dive/snorkel...Perhentian will be the best. If you want really good food then Penang is the best. Penang has beaches as well but I do not think it has good dive spots. Plus penang beaches can be riddled with jelly fishes and usually, there will be sections on the beach that are netted to prevent those the little stingers from coming through.

I can't contribute much on Langkawi nor where to stay.Last when I was in Perhentian years ago, tthere weren't any resort style accommodation. Things might have changed since?

Taun

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

Hi,

best from which perspective, though @BeatoTaun has given a very good concise rundown.

Penang though an island is very much a cosmopolitan city with traffic bumper to bumper, skyscrapers intermixed with prewar shop houses,with city chain hotels properties along stretch of Batu Ferringhi /Tanjung Bungah in the likes of Sheraton, Shangri La, Hard Rock hotel, Park Royal to list but a few.

Then Langkawi will be that island of mystical legends to unwind you from the hustle and bustle of a concrete city...relaxed pace, abundance nature with few beach stretch such as Pantai Cenang and Pantai Tengah, Burau Bay..and yet you can still enjoy a nice spot of sun set viewing holding onto a duty free chilled beer.

Well, nicest resort to stay:

Penang- Park Royal, Rasa Sayang, Golden Sands, Lone Pine

Langkawi- Meritus Pelangi, Casa del Mar, slightly remote- Datai/Andaman Tanjung Rhu, Four Seasons..and the boutiques likeness of Ambong Ambong, Sri Chenang, Villa Molek, Temple Tree

And in terms of logistics -getting to--Penang and Langkawi is so easy..in fact there is also flight from Langkawi island to/fro Penang,and even ferry.

If you are into snorkelling/scuba diving,and unable to get Perhentian, well from Langkawi,one can take a ferry to Koh Lipe ( Tarutao marine national park ).

NORWICH
Level Contributor
197 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

I have visited all 3 and as all say above depends what you want fro an island holiday.

As one poster has said you will not get luxury in Perintian. We stayed for 3 nights just loved it. Hotel was very basic but had lovely beach and peace and quiet (best of all). We are not divers so went snorkelling. Saw turtles galore,

Langkawi we love but 5 days is more than enough. There is no public transport. Lovely beaches but no diving or snorkelling.

Penang is more lively lots of hotels to chose from. But swimming I sea not to good as jelly fish.

It all depends what you want from a holiday

Selangor
Level Contributor
9 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

Hello!Based on my experience all the tree island has it's own unique personality.If you wants serenity and peacefulness,go to Perhentian Besar.For food and culture go to Langkawi or Penang!

Wellington, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

Hi

Where did you stay on perhentian

Basic is fine.

Thanks christine

We may be in high season?

Wellington, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

Hi

Where did you stay on perhentian

Basic is fine.

Thanks christine

We may be in high season?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
746 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

Christine - you mention "basic", but what does that mean for you? The TA reviews give a pretty good idea about what's what amongst the different resorts and dive centres.

NORWICH
Level Contributor
197 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

We stayed at Bubbles Dive Resort after recommendation from friends in Penang who visit there all the time. We went in March 2014 just as the resort opened up for the season so was not to busy. What is good about this resort is you do not get other boats coming past soooooooo peacefull. Rooms are basic but we just loved it. I think there is only around 19 rooms. Added bonus you don't need to wear shoes at all whilst there.

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: perhentian, penang or langkawi - which is the best ????

I have just returned from Malaysia for my 3rd time. If you want diving then the cheapest place around is Perhentian but that's about all the island can offer, be very very very careful if travelling there alone, Besar is no longer a paradise island but a total dump!!!!! Langkawii is a lovely chilled out place, the beach is gorgeous and it's a tax free haven so get stocked up on all alcohol! Penang is another world but if wanting beach then not the place to go but if you want amazing food amazing history then I would defiantly recommend Penang, I stayed in between little India and China town so had the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps.

Get answers to your questions about Pulau Perhentian Besar