We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

perhentian with 2 young children

Amersfoort, The...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
perhentian with 2 young children

Is Perhentian Besar or Kecil a good place to go with 2 young children (1,5 and 3 years old)? Is it safe to make the boattrip from kuala besut to perhentian? and what is a nice place to stay? Wich beach, wich resort/hotel?

We don't want a big, luxery resort. Simple accomodation with aircon and hot water would be fine. A beachside bungalow would be nice but not neccesary. Most important for us is that it's suitable for staying with young children/childfriend

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: perhentian with 2 young children

Simple, affordable and featureful accommodation is available, specially in this low season, but children are -IMHO- not welcome there unless you go for high end resorts which operate their safer boats and offer family friendly services.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 13:47
Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: perhentian with 2 young children

Perhentian Besar Island are the good places for family to stay. Much safer and secure. Should not worry for boat trips,as you need to wear life jacket during the journey.

Recommended to stay at The Tropical Reef, Perhentian Kecil Island

http://www.pulauperhentian.org/TheReef.html

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: perhentian with 2 young children

Hi,

We were there last summer, and though I did see one couple with a child, there were none others. With good reason, our boat ride to the islands was fine but the return trip we risked to capsize in the south china sea.

It was one of the most horrible incidences of my life, it lasted one hour and had we ever fallen in the sea, I doubt any rescue teams would have come to aid.

I would not recommend anyone with children going to Kecil.

However, with the bigger more equiped boats, the more upper end hotels of Besar should be no issues.

hope that helps

Redcliffe, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: perhentian with 2 young children

We stayed at Abdul's chalets in a beachfront chalet with our 3 kids aged 5,5 & 7 - we had a fantastic time and the kids were welcome everywhere we went.

They LOVED the boat ride over (but are adventurous kids) - we held on tight to them the whole time though.

I can't remember if we had life jackets on or not as we went on a lot of boats on that trip and sometimes we did, and sometimes not - I'm sure they would've had some though.

You can hire life jackets at the chalets if the kids want to snorkel of go on boat trips once you are there.

dorset
Level Contributor
551 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: perhentian with 2 young children

Hello. We stayed at Tuna Bay on Perhentian Besar and I can advise that there were quite a few children there, including babies. They do their transfer on a large, stable speedboat.

Tuna Bay is a resort, but it is not exactly big, or particularly luxury.

Edited: 04 March 2013, 13:30
Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: perhentian with 2 young children

In summary, go for a high end resort in the big island (Perhentian Besar) and use their boat transfer. otherwise it's not really recommended to go.

norway
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: perhentian with 2 young children

when are you going? or have you been already? We are going with kids hvis sunday:-):-) have booked two night on Arwana, and the We`ll see where to stay next.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: perhentian with 2 young children

How was Arwana?

9. Re: perhentian with 2 young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Pulau Perhentian Kecil