We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redang or Perhentian

dhaka
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Redang or Perhentian

Hi all,

planning for a visit to perhentian this June.

booked the earliest ticket to kota baru to reach the island. now some important queries arised:

I have a small boy (will be 8months by then) and wife accompanying

1. is the boat journey safe? i heard that there are only small boats available with mostly open decks. would we get wet? baby? rolling?

2. planning to stay on Besar. is there a lot of mosquitoes? should i really be worried about the child's safety? maleria like attacks can be there? what about dangers from other insects/animals?

3. need a budget hotel, with standard facilities and security... are there available options?

4. food - do they have number of options and quality foods there?

Now that i have booked the flight from KL-kota baru, i cant change it (budget career airasia) without charges. is it possible to route to merang jetty from kota baru airport if i decide to go to redang instead?

thanx in advance for your feedbacks.

Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Redang or Perhentian

1. The journey with boat its safe..some boat have open decks..when rain,you can get wet .But sometimes also have big boat can fit 40 people..

2. Dont worry about the mosquitoes,some resort provide mosquitoes net..

3. Abdul Chalet are best chalet at Perhentian Besar..among the choice at tripsadvisor forum.Never heard any loss of belonging their customer..not all resort have security..everything safe..and its just small island.

4.Food..you order Malaysian dishes or Western Dishes.

You have to call Airasia..either can change the routes or not..

For Redang Island...the nearest airport at Kuala Terengganu Airport.

Mentioned in this post
Redang Island
Redang Island
631 Reviews
Pulau Redang, Malaysia
Kuala Terengganu
Kuala Terengganu
Terengganu, Malaysia
singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redang or Perhentian

1. Boat journey mostly safe. It's not open decks but u might get wet from e waters by e side. but no big worries. baby sld b ok except when boarding n slighting b more careful. Dun worry abt luggages, e boatmen will get it. won't get seasick so juz enjoy e sea wind for 30mins n u r there!

2. There's tons of big mozzies in perhentian! God i was sooooooo busy killing them! Advised get a air con room to have a good nite sleep! MUST bring mozzie repellent n spray generously! It helps! It's a jungle island after all. No malarie n sandflies n no attcks from other insects / animals. But sometimes when snorkelling there's some stings (mini jellyfish?) which is annoying n painful but goes away quite quickly.

3. I think Coral View Resort is good. I stayed at Perhentian island resort which is next to Coral. Not too sure abt other resorts.

4. If u r staying around this part of e island. Cheap n tasty food includes BBQ seafood, local dishes eg fried rice n fried noodles to western dishes such as pizza to pasta n chicken chop to sandwiches. Coral view , mama's, watercolors etc great for dining.

dhaka
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Redang or Perhentian

Hi thanx a lot.

i'll definitely bring some mosquitoes repellent.

4. Re: Redang or Perhentian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 05:24