We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moroccan currency

CANADA
5 posts
Save Topic
Moroccan currency

I am a Canadian leaving for Morocco in a week and we are not quite sure what to bring for a cash flow in Morocco. As the diarham can only be obtained in Morocco I wonder if bringing traveller's cheques is a good idea or will there be many Interact machines (ATMs) in Marrakesh. We are aware that once we go to Ourazazate/Ait Ben Haddou there will be no access to ATMs and we will need to have enough money with us.

Any feedback would help!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
420 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moroccan currency

Hello fellow Canuck. We were in Morocco in the spring and ONLY used the ATM's. They are everywhere and almost positive that Ourazazte has them. We did not bring travellers cheques because we were told (through this forum) that it woulod be difficult to use them. As soon as we arrived at Casablanca airport we used the ATM to withdraw dirhams.

The ATM's were very convenient and safe to use. A few pointers from tripadvisor forum:

Notify your bank you will be in Morocco. Sometimes if there is unusual activity on your bank cards they may suspend the account.

Maximum cash withdrawal was 4000dh per day for my bank card.

If you are concerned about withdrawal charges, check with your bank. I was charged $3.50 per withdrawal plus exchange rate.

Use an ATM attached to a branch that is open. That way if your card gets eaten by the machine you can go into that branch for assistance.

We discovered afterward that you can get a small amount of Dirhams through Custom House currency exchange. They have several locations in BC.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moroccan currency

your credit card and cash in usdollars or better in euros, no TC ....And make sure your banknotes are not marked (pen or stamps) or in a bad shape ....

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moroccan currency

..and do not..do not...do not...under any circumstances..bring travellers' cheques.

CANADA
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moroccan currency

Thank you all for your help re: moroccan currency.

Very appreciated and lowers my anxiety levels!

I did go to my bank to notify them of my trip which was a great recommendation I had not thought about.

To my canadian friend from Vancouver:

You have inspired me to bring my kids to Morocco one day...maybe not this trip as they are only 4 and 2 but in a few years for sure!

I will give you news from my trip when I return!

5. Re: Moroccan currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 11:21