We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eid el Adhar/Eid el Kabir Oct 2014

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Eid el Adhar/Eid el Kabir Oct 2014

I would very much appreciate the input of anyone who has experience Eid el Adhar/Kabir when in Chefchaouen. I think the date this year is around the Sat 4th or Sun 5th of October.

A friend and I are planning to visit Morocco - Fes, Meknes, Chefchaouen area - late Sept/early Oct and we've just thought about the Eid and wondering about the potential impact on our trip. At the moment we are very much at the planning stage and nothing is booked, although we are rather restricted to limited dates if we are to do this trip this year. We need more information on how the Eid is celebrated in the local area. How it may impact on public transport, eating out, tourist sites etc. We are both interested in cultural/religious events and would have no problems possibly being restricted to a point for a couple of days but equally can't afford the time to just sit around one place for too long. Perhaps one town would be more inclusive to us as visitors than another! (By that I mean perhaps we would have a better chance to witness/experience the Eid along with local people in one town more than another.)

We have read the information posted on the Top Questions for the Morocco Forums, and done some searches, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who experienced Eid more location specific (so will be posing the same question on more than one Moroccan forum). Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Rabat, Morocco
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eid el Adhar/Eid el Kabir Oct 2014

Hey there! There was a time life would freeze for a couple of days during religious days. Unfortunately for us locals it aint the case anymore BUT for tourists and other non celebrating folks its good news hehe so yeah for the Aid Lakbir shops would close in the mirning til about mid day prayer time yhen lufe just goes back to normal for business owners of all kinds i would say. For transportation as in taxis its pretty much the same exept for Travel transportion busee, They do not get to rest so put ur mind at ease! I d recommend u to go for CTM buses only! You take any small taxi and tell them CTM they ll take you to either their independant agency or a travel bus terminal (La Garre we call it) where you ll find a CTM agency right inside! You ll need no human intreference but the guy who ll book for u a seat! As for the Aid itself, do u wanna join my family and celebrate? I ll be glad to have you as our guests!

2. Re: Eid el Adhar/Eid el Kabir Oct 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 14:05
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eid el Adhar/Eid el Kabir Oct 2014

Hi Maha B. Thank you for your response. I see that your profile is set as being in Rabat. I am wondering if your response is based on experience in Chefchaouen specifically or just on Rabat/Morocco in general. I am hoping to find information that is specific to locality. For example, in some countries a festival or Eid will be celebrated not just in the general/normal way but also with more local traditional customs too.

Thank you for your invitation to share Eid with you and your family. That was very kind of you.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Rabat, Morocco
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eid el Adhar/Eid el Kabir Oct 2014

No its very much the case for all over the country. if u read my post again u ll see how i said that life will get slower in D-1 but it never goes longer than that.

5. Re: Eid el Adhar/Eid el Kabir Oct 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16