We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chefchaouen to Casablanca

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Chefchaouen to Casablanca

Dear All, your advise is appreciated for a safe route. I will be traveling alone in October. Should I take a CTM bus from Chefchaouen to Casablanca? Easy to get a ticket from the bus station? Or any web site that I can buy in advance? Alternatively, should I take a taxi to Ksar el Kebir and take a train from there? Thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

you can try and buy the bus ticket online at ctm.ma, seems to be hit and miss if they can be bought overseas

otherwise it is easy to buy when you arrive in Morocco but CTM buses do often sell out in advance so grand taxi and train might then be your best option

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

Just been investigating that journey (as I am traveling in Morrocco now).

Below seems the cheapest & most reliable plan.

From Chefchaouen to Fez: take a CTM bus (pretty high standards), takes 4 to 5h, 75dirhams, see http://www.ctm.ma/

From Fez to Casablanca: take a train, takes 4 to 4.5h, see http://www.oncf.ma

Bus Booking tips: buy the bus ticket the day before directly from the bus station if you want to leave in the morning, & buy in the morning (latest) if you want to leave in the afternoon. Buses can be fully booked & there are not many. Booking online with a foreign bank card is not possible unless booking 72h+ in advance, yes it is really old-fashioned & unconvenient, welcome to morocco.

Train booking tip: I've only bought my ticket before jumping in the train & it was always fine so far. Use the automatic machines to buy your ticket in the station & jump the silly queue at the ticket office ;)

This Rome2Rio travelling website seems to get this journey right, see www.rome2rio.com/s/Chefchaouen/Fez-Morocco and then www.rome2rio.com/s/Fez-Morocco/Casablanca

Edited: 24 December 2014, 09:35
Newton...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

It was very helpful, thanks a million. Is it safe to ride a bus or a train alone? And how can I get to the airport after getting off the train or bus in Casablanca?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

you can take train from either Casa Voyageurs or Casa Port station to the airport

Orange County...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

Why take the bus back to Fes instead of direct from Chefchaouen to Casa?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

there are not many direct buses Chef to Casa, there are a lot more to Fes to Tangier and then you can connect with trains

Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

Is it safe to ride a bus or a train alone?.. Yes.

With train though it's usually better too buy the first class ticket to secure your seat 💺. Otherwise there is a risk of having a very busy train and finding no where to sit.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,543 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

>"Why take the bus back to Fes instead of direct from Chefchaouen to Casa?"

Yes, it's a peculiar suggestion. The easiest is to take a bus or grand taxi from Chefchaouen to Souk El Arbaa and then hop on the Tanger to Casablanca train. Alternatively grand taxi to El Ksar el Kbir and then train. El Ksar el Kebir is a shorter link but buses are easier to get on the Souk el Arbaa route.

Check train times at www.oncf.ma

Edited: 02 March 2016, 11:53
North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

I've made this journey before, there is one CTM bus listed at the bus station in Chef departing at 7 am daily for Casablanca, the journey takes seven hours with a cafe stop at Souk Larbaa, about half-way, the fare is approx 130 dirhams, plus five dirhams luggage charge for each large bag stowed in the luggage hold, overhead parcel shelves above the seating are free to use, the bus 'might' stop at CTM's own private bus station in Rabat if there are passengers or parcels to unload. This is by far the the most direct and cost-effective way to travel this journey in my experience, CTM's private bus station in Casablanca is also conveniently located at Rue Leon L'Africain near the city centre, United Nations Square, and only a short walk to the nearest tram stop at the Central Market.

As for booking a ticket in advance, just buy your ticket to Casa when you arrive at Chef Gare Routiere ( bus station) the ticket clerk has a habit of locking up the tiny office and disappearing if no buses are due so you might have to wait for him.

While at the bus station investigate another bus company which also has a 7 am departure for Casa, I think it's Nejme Chamal, but not entirely sure about this detail. CTM do not have a monopoly on this route.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chefchaouen to Casablanca

The website http://www.oncf.ma/ is in French. I am very frustrated. I will be taking this route as well. I just want to know what time the train or bus leaves Souk El Arbaa and if I can make it to Chef if I'm coming from Casablanca.

Reply to: Chefchaouen to Casablanca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted