We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Being vegetarian in Morocco

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Being vegetarian in Morocco

I plan to travel to Tangier, Fes, Marrakech and Merzouga. I am a vegetarian - don't eat any form of meat, no chicken, no pork, no fish, no sea-food. I eat cheese and eggs. Would I be able to get vegetarian at the above four places? Or should I carry food with me on the trip to Merzouga?

Thanks.

melbourne
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

hi .

you dont need to carry food with you beceause youcan have eggs for example and vegetales in any place in morocco and restaurant like for example Omlets wich its makes by eggs and tomatos .or you will have Salads or you can have tagines without meat just ask for that in any restaurants and be sure you will have what you want.so you dont need to carry food with you.and merzouga also all hotels offers the same food.

good luck and any more questions your welcome

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

Morocco is not renowned for veggie food, here you will find all manner of food which is also dependent on regions - camel, chicken, lamb, pigeon etc although with the advent of tourism, things have changed.

You can have a tajine with various veg, sometimes called 7-veg tajine, or tajine au sept legume, served with cous cous, there are the usual european style dishes in the many european style restaurants which have sprung up over the years serving pasta, omelette, salads, potato etc etc.

Not eating fish deprives you of the experience of eating at the fish stalls, particularly at Jemaa el Fna in Marrakech in the evenings although wherever there is a port there are fish and seafood restaurants.

There is a type of soup known as harira which is the best ever (IMO) and is based on coiander for the essential flavourings and also has lentils, this can be made with meat too so you will have to ask.

Other ideas of Moroccan cuisine:

Starters:

Marinated olives and bread are served in all restaurants and there is no charge for these.

Byesar is a puree of dried broad beans.

Chick pea and parsley soup.

Veg soup with pumpkin.

Veg dishes:

Broad beans with herbs.

Courgettes with spices.

Spinach with beans, raisins and pine nuts.

Chick pea tajine.

Schlada, a type of gazpacho.

Date, orange and carrot salad.

Cous cous salad.

Desserts:

Serpent cake.

Pastries.

Rice pudding.

Stuffed apricots.

Kaab el Ghzal (Gazelles Horns)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

Hi Nat traveler

Being a 'strict veggie' I find it is not too difficult to eat here. John as listed most of the options ( Great List John)

Just to point out that when eating out ask if they have used fish, chicken stock in soups or sauces also some pastries are made with butter.

The oil used to fry fish can also be used for the fries.

If you use soya milk the larger Supermarkets stock it ....at a price ( 59 / 69 MAD )

Good eating and enjoy your vacation

Mabsouta

Boston
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

Thank you John. That is quite an extensive list and gives me the confidence that I will not starve! My concern arose from the fact that I had read that Morocco is mostly meat-eating country. Thnaks.

Boston
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

Thank you Mabsouta.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

You're going to have to accept the fact that even if you ask whether a dish has been made with some sort of meat stock, and they answer no, that they're probably not telling you the truth. Unless there's a place with a real reputation for catering to vegetarians (the only place in the country that I can think of is the Earth Café on Riad Zaitoun el-Kdim in Marrakesh), ask for a veggie tagine and they'll give you the vegetables after having removed the meat from the pot. I can definitely say that the bessara (fava bean and garlic soup) has no meat whatsoever, but lots of dishes like stewed pulses have bones or fat in the stock. People here don't really get the idea of "no meat", although if you ask for it so, you'll always get something that at least LOOKS vegetarian, served with a smile.

One thing's for sure, you'll never have to worry about pork getting into your food!

Boston
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

Thank you chano for your candid advise. When I have gone to other countries where meat is the main focus and language may be an issue, I have carried a little card with me translated b ya local which describes what I eat and what I don't. The card in English reads like this:

"I am a vegetarian. I do not eat any form of meat (beef, pork, chicken). I do not eat fish or seafood. I also do not eat food which has meat / fish stock in it – meaning food with bones or meat or animal fat used in its cooking.

I do eat eggs and cheese and all vegetables, except onions and garlic.

Thank you."

Could I get help from TA forum folks to translate this into Moroccan Arabic and/or French? I also find that when I presnet the card, people are more willing to help me get vegetarian food.

Thank you.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

Hi, here is some translation. But you not need be worry, you can have everywhere the vegetarian food. The people are nice and cook for you as you wish.

«Je suis végétarien. Je ne mange pas de toute forme de viande (boeuf, porc, poulet). Je ne mange pas de poisson ou de fruits de mer. Je ne mange pas de nourriture qui a la viande / poisson, il en stock - sens de nourriture avec des os ou de viande ou de gras animal utilisé dans sa cuisine.

Je ne mangent les oeufs et le fromage et tous les légumes, sauf les oignons et l'ail.

Je vous remercie. "

"أنا نباتي أنا لا تأكل أي نوع من اللحوم (لحم البقر والخنزير والدجاج) وأنا لا يأكل السمك أو المأكولات البحرية. كما أنني لا يأكلون الطعام الذي اللحوم / المخزون السمكي في ذلك -- أي مع الطعام أو العظام لحوم أو دهون الحيوانية المستخدمة في الطبخ.

أنا أكل البيض والجبن والخضروات باستثناء البصل والثوم.

شكرا لكم. "

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

Hi again, I just send you translation, but maybe TA take out my message, now I remember, we should write only in English - so sorry.

10. Re: Being vegetarian in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2009, 05:18