We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fes to Merzouga and back

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fes to Merzouga and back

In September, I am looking at traveling from Fes to Merzouga, spending 3 days at Erg Chebbi, then getting back to Fes.

How does one find a 'car hire' in Fes and what do you do about the return trip 3 days later? What is the approx. cost each way for 2 travelers?

Does anyone have the CTM bus schedule from Merzouga back to Fes? I know the Fes to Merzouga is overnight from 9pm to 6am, but haven't found any info on the return times.

Thanks!

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

Hi there;

I won't recommend the CTM! I would advise on the supratour bus which connect Fes and Merzouga, I mean you can use the CTM but you'll have to change in the city before Merzouga, the CTM gets there in the early morning (4am) so that's kind of risk! doens't it??

The supratour leave for Fes in the evening 7/8pm;

there are a lot of things to do while staying in the desert. something else to mention is : the bus will stop in Merzouga downtown, which I don't recommend for such a stay! if you want a peacful village go to "Hassi Labied" located between Merzouga donwtown and "Erg chebbi", you can take day trips to both of them and to the lake hiring bikes or quads also one of the local company does treks to the lake on camels which is 'NEW thing to do'...

best of luck

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
611 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

The downside of the ctm & Supratour Buses are operating at night...they are the cheapest mean of transportation though, I would recommend the latter- Supratour- as it goes as far as the village of Merzouga & the sand dunes of Erg chebbi, a release from the hustle you may encounter in Rissani town where ctm ends the journey.

The other alternative is car hire,

Happy travel.

Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

I just returned to Canada from Morocco on July 17. I travelled from Rabat through Meknes to Erg Chebbi. I spent two days and two nights in the Erg Chebbi area.

"Car hire" means simply car rental. There are the usual international firms that charge quite a bit, or you can rent a car in Fes from a local company. I had a personalised tour arranged that booked a car for me out of Rabat. The car rental company does not have a website so I could not have booked it myself from Canada. The prices were more in line with what a Moroccan would pay! My suggestion is to use local companies as much as possible. There are Moroccan car rental companies that include a driver for you and that might be a good idea if you want to sightsee. I drove myself, but that might not be a choice for everyone. Spending long hours on a CTM bus is not always the most pleasant--I did a Rabat to Tangiers run that way a few years ago.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,808 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

P.S. sorry but more peaceful village than Hassilabied is actually Khamlia about 7km from Merzouga if I can reccomend

Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

Indeed Khamlia is definitely worth visiting! I enjoyed seeing the Gnaoua perform while there. Awesome experience!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,808 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

Gnawa is very good music, they have now a festival August 4, I like to be there but I cannot so all you who are there now or will be there go and listen to them. It is a spiritual music they talk to you it is wonderful.

Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

Any thoughts on renting a car and driving from Fes to Merzouga in December? Does anyone know if you can rent a car in Marrakesh and return it in Fes, or the other way around?

Thanks!

Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

I will be traveling from Marrakech to Merzouga to Fez this December. Does anyone have advice on renting a car and driving this route this time of year?

Thanks!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

With what do you agree??

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fes to Merzouga and back

Everything is possible, taking a rented car from a city and drop it off in an other one is possible, but the hire company will charge you to pay an extra amount; (the costs of bringong the car back to the main city).

driving during Dec is not a good thing because of snow and the weather, once it snow in the Atlas montains the roads close and there you have to wait for hours, (I would insist on a very good car with AC);

Avoid to take small kids on such roadtrips.