We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving luggage during camel trek

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Leaving luggage during camel trek

Hello

I am hoping to do an overnight camel trek near Merzouga, late August.

I am not sure where suitcases that are NOT required during an overnight camel trek are left.

Does everyone check into a hotel and leave them in the room? Is the price for the camel trek inclusive of the hotel room where you leave your luggage? If you go direct with a camel trekking company rather than through a hotel, what happens then?

I am trying to finalise my itinerary and don't have a lot of time to play with. I am wondering about driving down from Meknes or Azrou to Merzouga in one day (instead of sleeping over somewhere en route) in time for a sunset trek. I think sunset would be around 8pm... About what time would we need to arrive in Merzouga for the trek? Do you think this long drive (7 hours?) + trek is too tiring?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,808 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving luggage during camel trek

Hi,

it is completely OK to leave your luggage at hotel or guest house or where you will be. It is safe there mostly as I know.I don´t know how it is working in all accommodation but this I know so the price for the camel trek is inclusive for where you leave your luggage . You do understand what I mean. You not pay extra for that.

From Meknes or Azrou you vill be in one day in Erg Chebbi, but it take the whole day to drive. And camel trek starts mostly 1 hour before sunrise and it is around 19.30 so you start I think after 18.30. So you must start you travel from Meknes early for to be in good time in Erg Chebbi. Actually I think it can be a little tired, first to drive many hours, then directly to take a camel trek. But many do so because they have not so much time which I think it is pity because to come to Erg Chebbi and have rush to go to the desert overnight there and next morning continue theirs travel ... You would stay in Erg Chebbi almost 2 nights, in my opinion.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,808 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving luggage during camel trek

P.S. sorry, I wrote wrong, I meant sunset not sunrise

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving luggage during camel trek

As Khamlia said, if you've booked your camel trek thru a hotel, they will arrange to store your excess luggage somewhere safe until your return from the desert.

If you've booked thru a guide service, then they should make the storage arrangements for you as well.

It will be a long drive from the Meknes area to Merzouga, so as Khamlia said, it will be best to get an early start to the day. My suggestion would be to spend 1 night on the dunes and 1 night in a hotel/riad afterwards so that you can relax a bit and enjoy the desert area. Chances are, you will be a bit sore from the camel ride, and it will be nice to relax by a pool, or in the shade of a terrace and reflect on your adventure the following day.

Have a great time!

wolverhampton, uk
Level Contributor
116 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving luggage during camel trek

Hi, we booked with www.aroundmorocco.com which is highly recommended on this forum. We met the guides at a cafe in Merzouga and then parked the car with most of our belongings in a locked car park around the back. This was a big bonus as it stopped us worrying about them while we were in the desert. I would certainly recommend this outfit but I would imagine most of the providers would offer the same service.

By the way, we arrived from Ait Ben Haddou at about 5.30pm and left the following morning after breakfast for Fes. Two long drives but the roads are good and as long as you leave time for a few stops, including an hour or two for lunch, it should be fine.

5. Re: Leaving luggage during camel trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 11:06
Birmingham, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving luggage during camel trek

Thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me :-)

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving luggage during camel trek

Generally, the camel trip, especially in summer, starts about 6 pm and returns by 9 am the next morning. I am sure the hotel management would not mind keeping the baggage in a cloak room while you are in the desert but, you may still need the hotel until 6 pm on the day of departure or soon after arrival from 9 am the next day.

I thought about all of these during my recent trip to Merzouga (July 3rd week), and decided to retain the room while we are in the desert. We used the room to relax during the hot day (110 F) and soon after return from the desert. Since breakfast is included in the room, it was nice to have it upon arrival from the desert. I guess I could have saved about $70 by careful planning but with kids around, logistics would have been difficult.

In my case, the use of an AC room with showers, toilet, and breakfast were reasons to retain the room while I was at the desert for about 13 hours.

8. Re: Leaving luggage during camel trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 05:17