We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental and Travel in Morocco

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental and Travel in Morocco

Hello, A friend and I would like to rent a car after we fly into Marrakech this October. We will spend the first night and morning in Marrakech then we would like to drive to Tinerhir in the afternoon (about a 5 hour drive). The next morning we'd like to do some hiking in the Atlas mountains near Tinerhir then in the afternoon drive to Merzouga (about 2.5 hours) for an overnight camel ride to a desert camp. The next morning we'd like to catch Rissani market, then Midlet in the afternoon finally overnighting in Fes (total about a 5.5 hour drive). The last day would be a drive from Fes via Meknes and Voublis to Tangier (non-stop travel would be 3 hours but we will be stopping to sight see). Are we over ambitious or is this a do-able drive? We thought we'd drive mid day when it's too hot to do anything else but would be a good idea if the cars are sensitive when running the air conditioning. I would hate to get stranded mid-day. So any recommendation on reliable car rentals would help. I was going to buy a Morocco card for my GPS but not sure if this would help once we get into the Medina at Fes and the roads seem very direct. Lastly, is it safe for two women in our 50's to travel around Morocco like this? Any recommendations on travel routes, times, car rentals, places to see, outdoor adventure agencies would be appreciated. Thanks

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

Hi!

Is this a 5 day trip? If so, I'd say that you're being too ambitious to cover all this distance in such a short time. It will be rushed, tiring and you won't see much at any of the places you stated, as you'll need to get back into the car and drive. right away.

You'll be spending 1 evening in Marrakech and leaving the next morning, and the same for Fes. Most would recommend spending at least 3 days in each of these cities just to begin to scratch the surface! Also, regarding your desert overnight: You plan to show up in the evening and then leave 1st thing the next day...? Seems like a lot of driving to not actually "experience" anything there. I suggest you reconsider your itinerary.

...just my opinions, of course...

Good luck!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

Hi,

If this such a short visit I have to agree with spmm. You will be driving almost all the time and not get the chance to appreciate anywhere you stop.

The two women bit is neither here nor there really. Stop and think for a moment. Are you trying to tick all the boxes and "do" Morocco? It's not a country to rush, you only really "get" it if you take your time I think.

Just my opinion.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,971 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

Tinerhir is a five hour journey from Marrakech??? Where on earth did you get that from? There's a rather big mountain range in between Marrakech and Ouarzazate which alone will take the best part of five hours.

You will (hopefully) be driving fairly slowly due to your inexperience with Morocco, so with lunch and other stops you should be thinking in terms of nine hours to Tinerhir.

Your other timings are similarly shot. Fez to Tanger in three hours? Really?

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,172 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

i also, agree with tim..take a deep breath, look around, sample the food, talk to the locals and enjoy the magic of morocco..

this is a country to slow down and enjoy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

WOW, I'm impressed with the quick responses and not surprised at the "take time to smell the roses" suggestions. I used Google Map for the travel times and distances, which usually takes terrain into consideration when projecting travel time but not knowing the local roads will make the driving challenging. So if we have only 5 days after we land in Marrakech, and I am not inclined to take the Cassablanca route, any suggestions on how to take in the eastern half enroute to Tangier?

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

Can you change your arrival/departure cities, or is Marrakech to Tanger a "must do" thing for some reason?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

I am agree with the above too, for example it is impossible to "catch Rissani market, then Midlet in the afternoon finally overnighting in Fes (total about a 5.5 hour drive)". Google map make sometimes surprises LOL.so you cannot trust completely on what it says.

Wonder also if Tangier is a "must do"

It is safe for 2 women anyway to travel in Morocco and you go by car without problem. Only drive not fast and not in the dark. If you have good map, you not need GPS. Drive not in the city as Marrakech or Fes.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 11:09
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,971 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

"So if we have only 5 days after we land in Marrakech, and I am not inclined to take the Cassablanca route, any suggestions on how to take in the eastern half enroute to Tangier?"

You can't. Firstly your timings are way out, and secondly they take no account of stopping and seeing things en-route.

As a tiny example of the sort of thing you will have to drive right past (because you don't have time to stop), read www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

Thank you once again. This is good information but not what I had hoped for. If my destinations are to be limited I would like to visit Marrakech and Fes. We will fly into Marrakech and ferry between Tanger and Gibraltar. So like it or not, Tanger is on the list of stops. I checked the train/bus transport and it appears if I want to go the eastern route, which I prefer, it would be by bus and as noted, take a long time, which I don't have. Would a night train from Marrakech to Rabat then bus from Rabat to Fes be a possible option? It does seem like I would only be "ticking off" my sites and need to return for a longer stay along the eastern route to see the monkeys and other wild life.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental and Travel in Morocco

Hi,

Not sure if you really understand the distances and times involved. Fly into Marrakech and spend two days, train to Fes then spend two days there and then get yourselves to Tangier to ferry out.

Check;

http://www.oncf.ma/index_En.aspx

for train schedules.