We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kasbah Ellouze, Tamdaght

Which Ouarzazate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
JJW
England
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kasbah Ellouze, Tamdaght

We have read various comments about KASBAH ELLOUZE, Tamdaght some good and some bad not sure what to think !! any advice ?, hope to stay there for 3 nights and then travel on to Anemiter and then catch a bus to Marrakech, has anyone ever made this trip is it possible ?

Any info would be appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kasbah Ellouze, Tamdaght

We (2 couples) stayed at Kasbah Ellouze for 2 nights just a few weeks ago. It was a real highlight of our 12-day road trip and we’d stay there again without any hesitation. The kasbah itself (more of a smart guest house than a full-scale hotel, obviously) was delightful, distinctly stylish and very fairly priced. Multiple terraces, fine views, pleasant service, beer & wine, decent food (but very little choice). We booked the Aicha and Brahim rooms, which have great views (I don’t think all rooms do). Colette, who speaks English, was away when we stayed; co-owner Michel is amiable enough but you’ll probably get most out of him (and the smiley kasbah staff) if you speak some French.

One of the great joys about staying here is being in the heart of a friendly, authentic and hassle-free village in a very scenic setting (and with no other tourists apart from the few fellow kasbah-guests). Once you’ve been to Ait Benhaddou, just 5km down the road, you'll know just why we liked Tamdaght so much. There’s a bucolic palmeraie to stroll around right on the Ellouze doorstep. And a (self-guided) visit to Tamdaght’s own crumbling and non-touristy old kasbah is a delight.

My only doubt is whether you definitely want a 3-night stay: fine if you’d like the Ellouze people to help with hikes or camel treks in the immediate area, but otherwise once you’ve been to Ait Benhaddou (a few hours will do) and pottered around Tamdaght (another few hours max) there’s little else to do locally but relax and soak up the scenery and take another palmeraie stroll. Which is all extremely pleasant, but…. Also, Ellouze doesn’t usually offer lunch – which means a drive (or a long hot walk) to a couple of places on the way to Ait Benhaddou, or a drive to AB itself.

Since we were self-driving, I can’t help with your query about getting to Anemiter and on to Marrakech by bus. My sense was, though, that tiny Tamdaght probably only has a minimal bus service (if any) and that any taxi would have to come from AB. There was certainly some tour-group 4x4 traffic heading up the rough valley road towards Anemiter (the tarmac stops at Tamdaght). But I imagine that Kasbah Ellouze might advise if you sent them an e-mail. Incidentally, don’t miss a visit to the ruined Glaoui kasbah at Telouet, after Anemiter on the way back to the main Marrakech road: it’s magical (you have to go with the guide at the front gate, but he’ll probably soon leave you pretty much alone). Telouet itself looked to us like a big enough place for buses and a taxi or two - and the road on from here is tarmac - but it's still a slow 25km or so to the main highway.

2. Re: Kasbah Ellouze, Tamdaght

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 14:29