We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can do in Ouarzazate?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
What can do in Ouarzazate?

Hi. I am planning to go to Marrakech in two weeks and I want to do a days trip to Ouarzazate and Ait Benhaddou. What can I do in Ouarzazate in order to have a nice visit to the city?

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

Kasbah Taourirt is right in the centre of town and 2 film studios on the edge of it as one drives in from Marrakech. There are some shops near the kasbah, but that's about it. It's kind of a quiet place.

Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

We like to visit a herbalist in Ouarzazate; the shop is called Caravan of Spices. They give a good overview of the spices, herbs and oils available in Morocco--multi-lingual staff and no hard sell. I would not advise buying argan oil there--no eco-cert labels, and not date stamped. I do buy arnica oil from them.

I have been to the Movie Museum across from Kasbah Taourit, worth a look if you have extra time in the city, but not a must-see.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

Check out Bazar Rabab a few doors up from the supermarket on the main street, it's a fixed price place with some really good items. I particularly like their range of pouffes and the brightly coloured ones per photo below are 160dh.

morocco-knowledgebase.net/photos/pouffes.jpg

Compare the price here: www.bohemiadesign.co.uk/moroccan-pouffes-b45

The other thing to sample in Ouarzazate are the incredible panachées (fruit smoothies). From Bazar Rabab head downhill, turn right at the traffic lights by the RAM office, then right again at the next lights.

morocco-knowledgebase.net/photos/smoothie.jpg

Peter Buitelaar (on the left above) runs www.bikershome.net which is a biking and 4x4 centre in Ouarzazate.

Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

hello

in ouarzazate you can visit the cinema studios , souks of ouarzazate , kasbah of tawrirt , kasbah ait ben haddou , kasbah tamdakht , kasbah talouet , made a pik nik between the mountains , camel or donkeys or horses trek .

best regards

Candanchu, Spain
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

you can visit the cinema studios , , kasbah of taourirt , kasbah ait ben haddou , kasbah tifaltoute , kasbah talouet , kasbah la cigone ......

ouarzate is quite really.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,662 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

I like very much Ouarzazate, it is clean quiet city even if now more and more modern. But I like it anyway. What you can do there aside from what is already mentioned is, on the road to Zagora, directly after Ouarzazate on right site is some ruins I can say, if there were some French barracks from before or what it is, but it was quite funny to go there and look. Even if it is nothing special or so, no one architecture but for me it was funny.

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
497 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

If you are going back to Marrakesh by Ait Ben Haddou note that the old caravan route through Teleouet was metalled this summer and is now passable in an ordinary car rather than 4x4. It is quite spectacular.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

Must seen places in Ouarzazate are : Imrelid Kasbah, the Old Ouarzazat which is the kasbah of Glaoui Families,( kasbah Taourirte) fortified city as a wonderful place to see as well, the film studio. and do not give a miss to thye world heritage kasbah, ait_banhaddou.

try to read more reviews about the mentioned locations and try to use the search box for more details, try to use your guidebook.

welcome to Morocco.

Canada, Kentucky
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

you can visit the cinema studios , souks of ouarzazate , kasbah of tawrirt , kasbah ait ben haddou , kasbah tamdakht , kasbah talouet.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What can do in Ouarzazate?

If you're at all into antiques, there's an antique store called Labyrinthe du Sud just outside the city centre. It's a huge place with many exquisite items, from jewellery to objets d'art, furnishings and carpets. It's fun to just go to take a look even if you have no intention of buying anything.

The starting prices are outrageous, but I managed to get the price of two very unusual objects down to 4,500 dirhams from 16,500.