We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
356 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

I have a desire to drive in Morocco. I am wondering if the car rental companys service there cars and maintain them sufficently. I have heard and read in the past that the cars rented are run down and over worked with the challenge of the terrain in Morocco.

I also am not thrilled to drive with hairpin turns and mountain side cliffs. I will plan my rental to make the driving experience for mostly paved roads and hire a car and driver for the part of the trip through the mountains.

I have a quote for a driver with a 4x4 suv for 120 euros a day. That includes fuel. Any opinion on the charge-fair or not - is appreciated

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

We rented a car from Hertz in the Marrakech airport. It was a Volkswagon Golf and it was very nice and drove like a dream for all 3 days we had it. I'm not sure about the quality of the local companies though.

And 120 euros a day is a very fair and reasonable price for a driver. :)

Good Luck!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,744 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

I rent often the car in Morocco and never had some problems. It was from the local company also and mostly it was Logan Dacia. Twice I hade Fiat Uno and once Polo or what was that, it was Fiat any way if I remember right.

It is really funny to drive in Morocco, be only careful, drive not fast and not when it is dark. Tho costs was generally around 25-30EUR per day.

P.S. WorldTravelli ... do you really think that 120EUR per day is fair and reasonable price???

Ashby-de-la-Zouch...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

Maybe this reply is too late for you. We've booked a 'regular' hire car through a UK company for our visit in november. The extra cost for a driver was £25 per day (= EUR 35 approx!). This fee included his board and lodging (all meals) - which he arranges himself !! He will go wherever you want to go, will be yours for as much of the day that you want him and will help with negotiation with the locals plus arrange that your car is looked after when your not around. As you sound rather nervous about driving (and over the mountain passes can be hazardous) I recommend this option.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

Nothing wrong in a basic 2WD vehicle. The vehicle import taxes in Morocco are incredibly high, so the hire charge for an expensive 4WD SUV will be many times that of a throughly decent but low-spec 2WD Dacia Logan or similar.

I would never advise hiring a 4WD unless intending to take it offroad.

And if anyone has never driven a 4WD offroad before I would suggest they don't start in Morocco!

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

We have rented scores of times through different agencies.We have had "trouble" on 3 occasions. Once when the clutch went very soon after pickup and the agency delivered a fresh car to our hotel the next day. That was a standard international agency and fortunately we were staying in town that night otherwise it would have gone on the top of he Atlas. Once when the battery went flat and the agency came out from Agadir to Taroudant to fix it the same day and we then realised we had left the boot open so it was our fault but didn't 'fess up.; and once last trip from our local agency when the fan kept burning out in the heat wave. We fixed it the first time and when it went again they drove overnight for six hours to bring us a new car. we are just taking them up on the free days in recompense. In general the cars ahave been of an equivalent standard to those we have rentd elsewhere in Europe except when we occasionally take a cheaper car from our local agency just to pop into Agadir for the day when we may get an old one which goes OK but has scruffy or torn upholstery. You would not expect this booking from abroad. We usually have Dacia Logans which are retro engineered sol that the suspension siuts the local roads but we have also havesmall Peuguots and Citroens. We have never had a 4x4. The cars manage the smallest metalled roads in the mountains including the Tizi n' Test and the road fromAit BenHaddou to Teleouet and the well maintained pistes in the Sousse valley. Like Tim I would only consider 4x4 if I was intending to tackle some of the serious pistes in the mountains and desert or going off piste

We would expect to pay about 350 Dh a day for rental of a decent small 2 wheel drive car. Some of the small independents in the big cites will quote less than that but you get what you pay for so you have to think where yo are going.

Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

we rent a car from Rabia car in Marrakesh.35eur in day with ac , diesel renault kongo. We went in Casablanca, al Jadidda, Essaouira, Agadir in the sea side road. Very good road , easly driving and fantastic picture.

Ouarzazate, Morocco
Level Contributor
49 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

renting a car in morocco is not hard. daily rates in all major cities go from 25 euros until 45 euros for a small city car. depends of the season you are booking it.

there are many major car rental companies but also small private rental offices are ok. i never rent a car in major companies as they are much more expensive.

if you rent a 4x4 with driver, price goes from 100 - 140 euros per day fuel included, price range varies of season.

i just came back from a small 8 day trip in morocco along with my sister. i rented the car in marrakech and drove 1700km thru essaouira, safi, oualidia, el jadida, casablanca, fez, ziz valley, boumalne dades and ouarzazate. the guys from the rental company in marrakesh came to pick up the car in ouarzazate for an extra 40 euros charge.

Edited: 29 October 2012, 11:40
Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
356 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

Thanks for the reply. I must say that I rented a 4x4 with a driver and was over satisfied.I was able to do a lot of off road things that I would not have been able to do on my own.We drove the desert road/path to an oasis, cave homes,Algerian border,and thankfully were able to move ahead on roads that cars were lined up for 1/4 mile due to water running over the road due to heavy rain.

I found the travel between places is usually 4-6 hours and i was glad i had a seasoned driver.If I was staying in place somewhere I would not hesitate to use a car going to and fro but the amount of travel i did for 2.5 weeksI am thrilled I had a 4x4 and Moroccan driver.If anyone is interested in my driver feel free to send a personal message.

Ouarzazate, Morocco
Level Contributor
49 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

Just a small correction to @timcullis (sorry to comment but since you're an expert in morocco you could know this) so here it goes my friend: although import taxes are very high, this doesn't apply to newly bought 4x4, which are much much cheaper then in europe. so, new cars in morocco are cheaper, import cars pay a lot. company's 4x4 have to be bought new, so price is actually low, and in most times with government support and help. if you have a new company you are actually ease of "tva" during 2 years. renting a 4x4 in morocco is more expensive due do company fees, insurance and travel permit. but, still the average price is overpriced since you can get a 4x4 for 75 euros per day also. big hug from morocco and thanks for helping people going around here. anytime join me for a cup of tea "chez moi" :)

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: quality of cars you rent through reputable car rental compan

Never had a problem from reputable companies. Price is higher for the reasons TimCullis cited. I had a horrible rental from a local Moroccan company as the car was cheap and in bad condition. I would go with the more reputable and known companies and you should be fine. A 4x4 is definitely not needed unless you are going off road.