We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

We are a group of three doing the Merzouga to Marrakech trip in July. I understand there is an 8am Supratours bus from Merzouga to Marrakech but we would really like to do a few stop overs along the way such as Todra Gorge and Dades Gorge, not sure if there'll be time for much else though is the Valley of the Roses worthwhile? We have accommodation sorted in Ouarzazate so definitely must get there by the evening.

I'm not sure but my idea was that we would take the coach from Merzouga to Tinerhir (for the Todra Gorge) and then somehow make our way to Ouarzazate. How much would a grand taxi be and would they be easy to find? We are on a student budget so we would like to keep costs relatively low.

Thanks in advance,

Chen

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Roses
Roses
Costa Brava, Spain
Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

Yes, it seems good.

I not know which time it is sunrise in July, but probably you can see it before leaving sand dunes.

You can sure make agree with camel man which time you want to be back so you reach the bus.

Honestly I not know either if you would go by bus or taxi, this issue you have to solve self, what you prefer is only you who know.

However, I think if it is 40 degree or 38 degree it is not so big difference. If it is hot it is hot everywhere, not only in the desert. Last year I would meet my friends in Erg Chebbi but they not came just because they thought it will be hot so they stayed just in Todra. Then later they told for me that it was so hot there, so ...

If it is hot so best place to stay at is near the coast.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

You really need to think it over, Chen.

The best advice is in Khamlia's last sentence:

→ If it is hot so best place to stay at is near the coast. ←

Otherwise, you could end up having a miserable holiday.

Additionally, don't just think of yourselves and your own comfort. What about the Moroccans who will be guiding you during Ramadan when it is very hot and they are fasting all day, no food or drink. Consider them as well.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 17:25
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

Right, I am completely agree with David!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

Hi,

No matter how hot it is and even more so because of Ramadan I'm sure the guides would prefer to be making money than not so yes, "consider them as well".

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

Regrettably the days are roughly set as we have booked accommodation already and this is part of a much longer trip around Morocco. We will be heading to Essaouira towards the end of our trip so hopefully that will provide some respite.

Right now it's just figuring out how we can plan the destinations into our journey as we are pretty sure we'll be going into the desert, the length of our stay is what we need to sort out.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Essaouira
Essaouira
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

One other option might be to go for a camel trek late afternoon to watch the sunset and then come back to Merzouga for the night and be in time for the 8am bus. I would also consider splitting the bus journey into 2 as it is long, hot and often without breaks (if the bus is running late as it often is). Ait Benhadou is definitely worth the visit but very close to Ouarzazate. Maybe consider Boulmane Dades?

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

Hi Asianteen, we just did the drive from Merzouga to Ouarzazate a few days ago, and wanted to see the same sights. We went via Tinejdad because we wanted to visit Ksar El Khorbat and Musee Lalla. we really enjoyed El Khorbat and recommend it. it had the benefit of a lovely outdoor cafe with cheap food. Musee Lalla was really expensive so we didnt go in. We chose Dades over Todra because apparently some new road construction in Todra has caused three hour delays on the road in and out of there. We heard this from two people who live there. We went part of the way into Dades and it was interesting. We also tried to go into Valley of Roses, but the day was getting late. In the end, what should have only been a 5 hour drive ended up taking more like 8. If you want to stop and see all these places and are doing it by taxi, I think you should plan on a driving time of at least 10 hours because you are going to send time sorting out your transport. By the way, re Valley of Roses, we only went a short way up that road, and there was a big layby with great views of two ruined kasbahs, as well as a pretty palmers below with lovely walking. Wish we had done that.

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate
Roses
Roses
Costa Brava, Spain
Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

Lindagaf, how was the weather?

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

Very nice, but in the desert, really really hot. I think it was 34 the other day. Can't begin to imagine what it would be like in July. It cools down nicely at night though, but by 8 a.m. it is super hot already.

Have a good trip, you will love it.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: From Merzouga to Ouarzazate

In July it can be 40-45 degree so it is super hot, not when it is 34 only LOL