We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry or lancha to Ometepe--is there a difference?

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry or lancha to Ometepe--is there a difference?

I know the ferry is larger and can carry cars. But, the lancha seems to run much more frequently, and I wouldn't need to try to coordinate as much to catch one of these. Has anyone taken the lancha? Is it okay? We'll be in Nica in Jan. Thanks.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
180 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry or lancha to Ometepe--is there a difference?

It is a bit of "roughing" it compared to the ferry. In terms of safety, though I don't know that to be any particular problem, the ferry would win hands down. This is a big lake and the winds can stir up some large waves.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry or lancha to Ometepe--is there a difference?

Thanks much. I guess although I might prefer the ferry, I am not going to jump through hoops to be able to take the ferry rather than the lancha.

3. Re: Ferry or lancha to Ometepe--is there a difference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 17:19