We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afraid of heights - hiking Maderas Volcano a good idea???

Southampton
Level Contributor
24 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Afraid of heights - hiking Maderas Volcano a good idea???

We're about to leave Granada for Ometepe and would like to do the Maderas volcano hike. I have a healthy fear of anything with high steep edges though and I'm wondering if this hike might be rather scary for me? I've heard that there is a rope climb down in to the crater, do you have to do this or could I wait at the top? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kate

US
Level Contributor
28 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afraid of heights - hiking Maderas Volcano a good idea???

Hi Kate,

I dont know if you a are already there, so maybe this would not matter any more. Always say this, fight your fears one step at the time. I have recently traveled to Nicaragua with a few friends including two girls who have never climbed any significant heights and mentioned to me their fears at heights.

I brought them to climb Volcan Momotombo and they did fine.

I advise them this "Concentrate on looking to the place you will be stepping ahead and don't worry about too far ahead or look back. It is almost ZEN, (focus about the "present", for which it is just that) "

Maderas is filled with plush vegetation and should pose no problem.

Good Luck

2. Re: Afraid of heights - hiking Maderas Volcano a good idea???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Ometepe