We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla de Ometepe

Donaldsonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Isla de Ometepe

Has anyone stayed at the American Cafe and Hotel in Moyogalpa? How does being in Moyogalpa as a base for Ometepe compare to staying in other hotels/hostels?How long does it take to get around to the Oyo de Aqua and Volcan Maderas from Moyogalpa?Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla de Ometepe

Most people choose to stay outside Moyogalpa because you ar closer to Ojo de Agua and Maderas Volcano, i will highly recomennd Hotel Villa Paraiso for easy access to Ojo de Agua and the Volcano

Isla de Ometepe...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla de Ometepe

the american cafe is very nice, probably the best hotel in town and it is very easy to get to any place from town.

Donaldsonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla de Ometepe

Just a few thoughts about my short visit to Isla de Ometepe- Because it was September the water was high and many beach areas were not as nice as at other times. The only disappointment I incurred was missing out on Charco Verde-which is absolutely lovely-but basically underwater this time of year. Villa Parasai was charming! The landscape and view were gorgeous, the cabins were awesome, the food was good, and the location was within walking distance to Ojo De Aqua, horseback riding, a few restaurants and the only little store in the area. Loved it! Nice dining area, several areas to relax by the water and a nice front porch with rocking chairs and a cold water water filter at the entrance to the office. Everyone was nice to us and I had no problems at all. It was awesome to be able to fill our empty bottles with cold water and not have to buy more plastic ones!

I highly recommend having a 4 wheel drive-it is definitely worth it. We drove to Finca Magdelina and Totoco Lodge and loved both places. We also ate at small local places and everything I ate was delicious. just can't say enough about what a special place Ometepe is-even the port of Moyogalpa holds a certain charm but we chose to only eat coming and going rather than stay in town because we had a vehicle and the town was nice but not as lovely as the other locations.People in Nicaragua are so kind and friendly and helpful. I am saving up every penny I can to go back next year. As a citizen of the US I feel we owe them what help we can offer as individuals to improve the quality of life that so many live. There are so many great organizations to get involved with and I plan on enlightening myself and being prepared to offer more next time I am lucky enough to visit that incredible land.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla de Ometepe

A very nice post! I would like to add that the country does not deserve the standing it has in most developed countries which is one of danger and violence. Those days are long gone and Nicaragua never wants to return to them. As such, it is up to people like you (and I) who have visited (or live in) the country and know the truth to share our stories and experience with others and help change its tarnished reputation. By encouraging tourism in Nicaragua we can slowly help to better the lives of its wonderful and generous people and give hope to this spectacularly beautiful country.

5. Re: Isla de Ometepe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 05:29