We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica to Nicaragua

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Costa Rica to Nicaragua

What is the best way to get from Liberia / Guanacaste to Isla de Ometepe? Is it possible to bicycle across the border from costa rica to nicaragua?

Thanks!

ny,ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

Yes, you can bike across the border - in fact it would be easier than the standard method which is to walk about 1km...

You could take the Ticabus to Rivas and then a taxi (or bike) to the ferries at San Jorge..

T

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

Thanks so much for the help. Is there somewhere near the border where we might hire / rent bikes?

ny,ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

Oh I see - I thought you were on a biking tour -- sorry don't know exactly where you are going to rent the bike - I suggest doing some net research on Liberia.

T

SJDS, Nicaragua
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

To answer your question, no. There aren't any rentals for bikes and even car rentals wont let you cross countries. I agree that the best, fastest and safest way is by Tica bus to Rivas. Then taxi to San Jorge and ferry from there. Info on the Tica bus is online. Good luck!

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

Okay, I should know this as I have done this trip before, however, I can't remember. About how long is the trip from Liberia, CR to Isla de Ometepe given transportation is smooth? I know you can take ticabus/nicabus/ and I think transnica to rivas and then taxi to San Jorge where you catch a ferry over, which I think is about 1.5 to 2 hours, so If I remember it's about a 3-4 hour trip. Am I right? Also does any one remember the cost for the bus to rivas? None of the sites specify that. Thanks

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

Transnica or tica bus ride from liberia in about 1.5 hours then you do your own passport stamp at costa rica migrations offices no charge, go exchange whatever amount of colones that you have into cordobas right now is about C1000 colones for C$40 cordobas then back to the bus on Nica side the people from the bus do the paper work and entrance fee in Nicaragua is $US13 dollars, go to duty free and buy some flor de caña local rum, and go back to wait for your passport timing at both borders from 1 hour to 4 hours in Dicember that´s because the amount of Nicas going back and for to Costa rica, after everything is done 1 hour more to rivas, Taxy at rivas to San Jorgue ferries ometepe leaves at 2:30pm and 4:00pm to Moyogalpa ferry Che Guevara Leaves at 4:30 pm to another port sorry i forgot the name but is not Altagracia s on the way to altagracia, but if you want to cycle around the island is better if you go to moyogalpa and rent bikes there.

Enjoy Nicaragua.

7. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2012, 18:46
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

I might do this... you would have to put your bike on the bus, This is possible?

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

on tica bus o transnica if is not a full bus which is most of the time "MAYBE" you will have some space for your bike.

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Rica to Nicaragua

Hello,

When I look on the Tica bus website, I cannot choose a Librria to Rivas option for buying tickets or pricing. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

SB

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Ometepe