We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJDS to Ometepe

New York
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
SJDS to Ometepe

Hello all,

My bf and i will be staying in SJDS for 4 days and would like to go to Ometepe for 1 day (no hotels) and then back to SJDS. I want to plan a fun and adventurous itinerary. We would really want to go volcano hiking, see nature, come across a waterfall and explore other highlights if we have time. Any good trusted tour guide recommendations? has anyone has done this in one day trip by themselves? We only plan to go there for 1 day. may consider 2 days. Thanks for your help!

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SJDS to Ometepe

Get in touch with Eric Henriquez, he is a local guide, in my opinion the best: ometepetrails@hotmail.com

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SJDS to Ometepe

Yep Erick is a pretty good guide but ometepe is one of those beautiful places that you have to spend at least 1 night.

Byron

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SJDS to Ometepe

Stay the night on the island and use the time spent returning to SJDS there instead. The ferry is 1 hour long each way and unless you are going in the wee hours of the morning and returning very late, your itinerary is quite limited. I did the opposite trek (Ometepe to SJDS), spending more time on the island instead of SJDS and I'm glad I did. Once you're on the island, you'll be bummed you didn't book a hotel! That being said, a great site is the new Hotel Xalli near Playa Santo Domingo because of its centralized location on the island. The owners are very helpful in coordinating a fun and adventurous itinerary without the stress.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,617 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SJDS to Ometepe

You will never get in all you want to do in one or 2 days. I agree with FullOfWanderlust, we spent 5 nights on Ometepe and that was not enough. We stayed at La Omaja and loved it! They made all of our arrangements for guides as we needed them.

Me, I did not care so much for the town SJDS, but I am older than the average traveler there. I loved the beaches just outside though. Have a great time!

Boise, Idaho
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SJDS to Ometepe

Stay on Ometepe Island a minimum of one night - we stayed just over a week right on the beach - I mean really ON THE BEACH - we took our coffee cups with us in the early am for a stroll and had our cocktails just outside the beach gate which is basically one step to the longest stretch of sandy beach where you find interesting seeds, parts of precolumbian pottery and can watch the sunset over the active Concepcion Volcano as the islanders are catching sardines or fishing, playing soccer or baseball and yet the beach is often empty and feels secluded that you have the whole beach to yourselves too.

Contact Linda Guest House - for a beautfiul private cottage with kitchen, lounge, bedroom and bathroom all with gardens, hammocks, rocking chairs, and tons of help to get you from the airport to the guest house.

The cottage sleeps 2 comfortably though we were a family with 4 kids so we had the larger house and loved the unique design - we prepared an easy breakfast and could watch the kids playing in the shallow warm lake water from the large screened windows.

There are several restaurants in the area with a new one with a unique thatch style roof --

Comedor Los Cocos- great brownies, pizzas, whole grain bread - definitely order the jalepino chicken!

6. Re: SJDS to Ometepe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 06:16