We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Ometepe

Portugal
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
car rental in Ometepe

Hi

I will spend 4 nights in Ometepe and would like to visit several places in different parts of the island.

Since renting a scooter is not an option for me, I'd like to ask if there are car rental companies in the island.

Thanks

Luís

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in Ometepe

ive read a couple different things. I own a moto here so ive never rented a car, so i dont have first hand knowledge though.

But there are no rental companies on the island from what i know. However, it is possible to rent a car privately at Hospedaje Moyogalpa (in moyogalpa), and someone mentioned they rented a private car elsewhere too but couldnt remember the name of the guy. Also i read on a messageboard once that Los Ranchitos in Altagracia will rent you a car for the day too.

Mentioned in this post
Altagracia
Altagracia
Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua
Portugal
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Ometepe

Thank you so much, Likeeveryoneelse!

Since I will probably need a 4x4 vehicule to be able to visit the best spots in Ometepe (including vulcanos), it's probably better to try to hire it before going to Ometepe. Actually I've contacted the Hospedaje where I'll be staying in Moyagalpa and they suggested it.

Since I'll be in San Juan del Sur before going to Ometepe, I'm trying to find a car rental company there to ask for quote. Although I just left a msg in SJDS forum, any help by you will be much appreciated:

Regards

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Ometepe

Curious to see what you come up with. I've got the same issue. As far as I can tell from my research, the car rentals are significantly more expensive in SJDS. I think we're going to rent a car in Grenada from Budget. Seems to be the best bet I've found so far.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Loomis, California...
Level Contributor
18 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Ometepe

I rented from Dollar at the hotel Plaza Colon-contact them by email and got a great deal.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in Ometepe

honestly, getting a vehicle on ometepe is probably better than renting one and taking it back and forth. Taking a car on the ferry can be relatively expensive (like 20 bucks per vehicle, each way), and not always will there be room, so you may end up having to wait for another ferry (generally not that long. just another half hour or hour)

Unless you get a great deal on a vehicle elsewhere in Nicaragua, you are probably better off renting one on the island, or renting a moto or taking the bus, etc. And then just renting a vehicle when you get back to the mainland area.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in Ometepe

Can't you make a reservation for the ferry and be guaranteed a spot for your car?

Moyogalpa, Nicaragua
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental in Ometepe

Hi Luis and madroy,

Hotel Ometepetl in Moyogalpa rent 4x4's - they've recently upped their prices to about $90 for a 24 hour period. If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, the new Hotel Nicaraus, also in Moyogalpa, rents a 2 person dune-buggy for $30/day - definitely a fun way to experience the island!

If you choose to rent a car on the mainland you can by all means make a reservation on any of the ferries to transport your vehicle. The Rey de Cocibolca ferry arriving in the San Jose del Port is the best value and smoothest ride (about C$300/$12 including driver passage), the Arcia ferries are more pricey (C$420 + driver passage) www.ometepenicaragua.com has the up-to-date numbers to call to make a reservation. Enjoy your time on Ometepe!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Ometepetl
Hotel Ometepetl
70 Reviews
Moyogalpa
Moyogalpa
Portugal
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental in Ometepe

Thank you all for your help and useful informations.

I agree it's better (and cheaper) to try to hire a car in the Island, especially because there seems to be several options to do it in the Island and transportation of a vehicule by ferry is not cheap.

A buggy seems a good option to explore most of the Island, but I guess for vulcano a 4x4 should be more appropriate, right?

Thanks again

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental in Ometepe

I rented a jeep and a dune buggy from the Hotel Nicaraus with four friends and it was a terrible experience. Both of the vehicles each broke down twice and we were stuck with the repair bills, not to mention the loss of our day spent trying to deal with two lemons on the far side of the island. The guy we rented from was less than understanding and I would not recommend anyone rent from him again... ever! I agree with the above opinions that it's better to rent on the island to spare the hassle of taking a car on the ferry but it's worth asking around for a good car. We made the mistake of asking the guy at our hostel and he hooked us up with his buddy. It would have been wise to ask around a bit more. The buses are not that bad there now that the roads are mostly paved.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental in Ometepe

I really think you do not need to rent a car if you just look for the main tourist sights (Santa Domingo Beach, Cold Spring Ojo de Agua, Petroglyps, Stream for kayaking and San Ramon Waterfall all this sight are reachable within two miles. So can walk to each side or rent a bike. IF you like to explore more remote places you neeeeeedddd a 4 weel drive as especially around vulcano the road is very bad...well i would not call it road at all...

Salta

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Ometepe