We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip in May to Corn Islands

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip in May to Corn Islands

I am hoping to head down to Corn Islands in May. From what I've read so far, sounds amazing. I am leaning towards Great Corn, what’s the difference between the two (Great and Little) from your experience. How far are they from each other?

Also, what part of Great Corn has the best snorkeling and beach. I read that the southwest area is a great spot? Are diving tours offered from both islands?. Also any hotel accommodations would be great.

New York
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

If you have the time, spend a couple days on both. If I had to choose only one, I'd pick Little Corn. On Big Corn I would stay at Martha's B&B, On Little Corn I would stay at Casa Iguana. Casa Iguana also has their own dive shop.

eureka, ca
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

Hola IslandGirl,

Are you still going to Corn Islands in May? I didn't see any more threads on your post. If you are, let me know. I never made it to Little Corn cause I got stormed in on Big Corn last Feb, but can give you what little info I gleaned while there.

Dave

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

Yes I am going in May - staying at Casa Iguana.

Please share your stories.

eureka, ca
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

Sorry for taking so long getting back to you. Work infringes on fun,

don't ya know. Have you contemplated "IslaChica" for your moniker? You might after Corn Is. "Chica" is a very acceptable CA slang for senorita. I was giving some thought to resurrecting "dgus" to "sceneisle" (which i'm sure my friends would think appropriate), but another TA person is preceding me in my footsteps. Guess I could be sceneisle2.

As I said, I never made it to Little Corn. I spent my first couple nights at Picnic Center, SW corner of the island. Like $20 a night, rather sparse dark lodging, has a decent restaraunt / bar there, but Picnic Beach is the best and most popular beach on the island. They were building a new place next door, the Arenas Beach Hotel? $60-70 a night on their website.

I spent my last few nights at Paraiso Club. Nice, clean, individual casitas. I think $50 a night. Resaraunt / bar on site. You'll love the street getting there. Owners are from Netherlands? They were brand new owners when I was there. A minute walk to the beach, then a 10 minute stroll up to Brig Bay which is the 'downtown'.

Taxis are not $1US anywhere on the island like I see on the web, but they are only a few $s. Even Big Corn is small so everything except Sally Peachy, NW, is minutes from the airport. The internet is overflowing with info on the Corn Islands. Actually pretty good info.

When you arrive at the airport, grab a little brochure with a map off the wall, thoughtfully provided by Nautilus Dive Center. They should provide any water sport and other info you need. Sadly for me it stormed for days and I didn't get to enjoy much of it, meaning I just need to go back and try it again!

If you are only coming into Managua and flying out to Corn Is, I would recommend the Las Mecedes Best Western, being that is right across the street from the airport. $70 a night, but with pool, decent food, and convenient. The local airline is right by the international terminal, and the hotel shuttle will run you for free, just a tip for the driver. Or it's a couple minute walk.

I left on the 7AM Costena flight. Go online from home and reserve your space. I reserved my flights online, but I tried to purchase my ticket the evening before but they said I had to wait till the next AM. So I got to stand in line at 5:30 AM for my ticket. There are not great English speakers with the local airlines, and there are a couple local airlines departing about the same time. The ticket agent will give you a little plastic paddle, you plane key so to speak, so you can see who's going on your flight.

Do you speak Spanish? Doesn't matter on the islands. Most everybody speaks English there. By the way, there is a Costena rep who speaks perfect English, who you can access online or by phone there, who will help if you have problems. Sceneisle -ity is here with me right now, ,,,,I've forgotten his name, but I'll get it to you. What is important is if you like lobster. They are not the big Atlantic lobsters, just little guys caught locally, but uuumm,,mmm,,goood, and cheap.

Foir your return flight, be sure to call or go to the airport in BCI the day before you leave to confirm your seat. They seem to have problem with their reservation system.

By the way, the planes all stop in Bluefields on the way to the islas.

You can get a layover in Bluefields on the way to or back for no additional cost. Just tell the ticket agent when you buy your ticket, that you want a layover in Bluefields, whichever direction, and dates, and make sure they give you 3 tickets, instead of just 2.

Bluefields is a 'port city', not much of a tourist destination, but a great opportunity to get some local flavor. Safe enough for a single lady during the day I think, but at night????? be careful. Latino culture seems to dictate machisimo, so don't be put off or

intimidated by the whistles and catcalls. They aren't picking on you personally, they're just doing what they do. Guess that's why they fight bulls. lol

I stayed at Bluefields Bay Hotel at Barrio Pointeen. Relax

('tranquillo' in espanol), barrios there are not like barrios in New York City. A 5 minute walk to downtown. I was surprised by the women's clothing stores there. Fancy. The hotel is clean, secure, $25 a night, good restaraunt overlooking the bay, good enough for the presidential candidate supported by the US against Ortega, Montealegre's entourage to stay there.

From Bluefields I went to an island in the south end of Bluefield Lagoon called Rama Key, inhabited by indigenous Indian population. Only because I have a friend from there. It's not a tourist destination at all. About the most impoverished place I've seen in some time, but the most comfortable I've felt in some time.

If you want, you can contact me directly thru TA or email at davidleegus@yahoo.com. Be happy to provide you with any more info I can. Guess where I'm thinking of retiring to in a few years???

Enjoy girl!!!!!!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

Thanks a lot!

new york city
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

thanks for the corn island information!! great. btw island girl, i am traveling in may from ny as well. i'll post any findings i stumble upon. please do the same :)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

Oh fun, I arrive May 14th and am staying at casa iguana. Come say hi!

orange, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

Islandgirl please post a review or TR of your trip if possible especially of Little Corn. I am curious how Casa Iguana is since it recently changed hands. I am pondering an xmas trip to the island but information is lacking.

los angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

I'm trying to get ahold of Casa Iguana for a trip in early May. Can anyone please give me their contact info? The information of their website keeps getting bounced back. Thanks!

los angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip in May to Corn Islands

Does anyone know how to get ahold of Casa Iguana? I plan to travel to Little Corn in early May, but can't seem to reach the hotel. The emails I send out, bounce back - undeliverable.

Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Ometepe