We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos dress code

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
8 posts
Save Topic
Lagos dress code

Im visiting Nigeria lagos for the first time,what is the dress code there?Do they allow tight jeans or leggings or should i just wear Nigeria traditional dresses.Your advice will be appreciated.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos dress code

I went for the first time 1 1/2 years ago. I only spent 2 days in Lagos so not too sure about there but in Benin i just wore my normal clothing the majority of the time. I found it very very warm so i spent most of the time in longish shorts or long skirts & jeans. I did get married there so obviously wore traditional nigeria clothing for that but as the clothes were so beautiful & made by a tailor i did wear this on occasion too. Im sure someone else can advise if this would be the same for Lagos.

London
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos dress code

Wear your normal clothes. Cottons and silks are best as they allow the skin to breathe. Take a cardigan or light jacket out with you in the evenings i find a lot of the resturants that have air conditioning tend to have it so its very cold.

chicago
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos dress code

Thanks alot for the response!

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagos dress code

as blackashine says wear normal clothes. You will find people are reasonably smart in certain areas of lagos and certainly appreciate the latest fashions. It is probably better to veer towards the conservative end of the fashion spectrum though as short shorts and bare midriffs/lots of cleavage may gain you unwanted attention; leggings and tight jeans fine though. The trad dress has lots of modern fashionable interpretations and is usually cotton/silk/looser and can be fun and comfortable to wear. Lagos weather is usually hot and humid, A/C can be very cool, and rain is tropical (heavy).

Norfolk, Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lagos dress code

HI, I just returned from Lagos last week after spending one month in Nigeria. I agree with Ada. Wearing comfortable clothes is fine. I wore jeans t-shirt, sandles or a pair of tennis shoes. Being comfortabnle is very important, especially now, since it is very hot and most places dont have A/C. Comfort is key. I didnt find most people to wear traditional dress unless it was for church. It was just like being here at home except for places like the market where people where a little more traditional.

6. Re: Lagos dress code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2010, 05:17