We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

I am white british female flying out in May 2012, meeting my Nigerian b/friend, i am concerned about travelling by road on public transport by bus to Benin City, as i have been told it would not be safe for me to do so, even when my b/friend will be meeting me at Lagos airport, the only other alternative is a connecting flight from Lagos to Benin City which will prove very costly.

Can anyone advise me on travelling on Lagos road and what experiance they had doing this.

All replies will be appreciated.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
39 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

not sure what should not be safe in travelling that road? Its roughly a 4 hour drive, but traffic might add to that. The road is ok and lots of bus and taxi companies take that road. Some are quite modern busses, others not so. Wouldn't have any concearns taking that trip with a bus. If you travel in a commercial bus you will also not be hassled by any police roadblocks. Have a look at www.abctransport.com They are one of the modern bus companies, but there are several more.

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

Thank you for the advice, its just that i chat to friends who are nigerian advised me not to travel by road on a bus, but my nigerian b/friend told me it will be new bus large coach type with air con too, i really do not know what will be best book air flight from Lagos to Benin or risk taking this bus, he will be with me all the way. Have you travelled yourself by bus to Benin?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
39 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

yes I have and to other places in Nigeria as well. There are no issues. What do your friends mean when they say "not safe"? Do they mean a robbery or a breakdown or what? Its all a bit hectic and chaotic to check in, but no more than at the airport either. You can book a seat ahead, so you know they take you. Granted you might die of boredom if they show a Nollywood movie on the bus. Just being out in traffic in Nigeria clearly is more dangerous than in the UK, but unless you stay indoors the whole time you will be exposed to that anyway. If you are afraid of a simple bus journey in West Africa, maybe choose a different holiday destination?

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

My friend has boyfriend in Lagos he used public transport yeaterday the bus was robbed, took his watch documents fromhis bank and so on, the people i chat to and know who are black nigerian aslo advised me to not to travel by road on a bus, but my friend whom i am to visit told me new buses with air con and will be ok, i just wanted some kind of reassurance from anyone who had travelled by bus to Benin City.

As for going out while i am there, i wont be alone and will be among lots of people and will not be left alone at anytime, I am booked in a respctable and safe hotel with a pool so that gives me comfort knowing this.

Does this bus journey to Benin travel through any remote areas that are unsafe?

I really appreciate your advice and thank you for it.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

I have heard of buses being attacked and robbed, but that's usually very late at night or early in the morning. A midday trip should be fine.

If you're that anxious about the journey, perhaps you should just get a hotel room near the Lagos airport and spend your first trip in Nigeria around there. Book a room for your boyfriend too, do some local sightseeing in the neighborhood. If you feel safe, you can proceed to Benin, if you don't, you can go straight to the airport and get the first flight home. Win/win.

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

Thanks for reply, i emailed the hotel they can collect me at the airport, also bus is safe as you say during mid day. My return flight however is a late evening one, so will leave day before and stay in hotel in Lagos for the night.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

Be sure to keep your passport and wallet on you at all times. Don't give it to anyone for "safekeeping", not even your boyfriend.

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

Thanks, i decided to book a connecting flight to Benin, just to be on the safe side, and i have a friend whos brother works at hotel in Lagos she stayed there recently , he is going to arrange hotel booking for the night i land in Lagos, also for my return to Lagos and drive me to the airport too, i feel much more at ease now.My passport will be locked up at all times until need to use it.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

Cool. Let us know how it turns out.

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety travelling from Lagos airport by road to Benin City

Will do, so you been to Benin City, can you advise any good eating places, i know my friends know of some but be nice to have different opinions from other people. In fact if you can give me some tips of places to see while i am there would be cool!

Also is Benin airport as bad as Lagos, what can i expect there lol

Edited: 24 January 2012, 16:55