We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

I'm going to Lagos as soon as I get my visa, I'm a 23 year old white female and I'm meeting my boyfriend there. We have been together for 4 years in the UK and he had been living here for 20 years. But recently he went back to ikeja in Lagos. I completely trust him, he will be meeting me at the airport and we will be staying with his family. Most people I have spoken to have said I will be robbed, kidnapped or killed. Some people say it is toooo dangerous whereas other people tell me I'll have a lovely time. I'm not planning on travelling a lot and won't be clubbing, I just want to spend some time with him, will I be safe?

London
Level Contributor
115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

hi as long as you are 100% sure he will meet you, then you will be fine. Ikeja is a nice area with some lovely restaurants and bars. Just make sure you have a backup plan in case there is any small chance that he is not there at the airport to meet you

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm sure he will be there to meet me. My family and friends are making me dread going when I want to be excited. I have never travelled alone before and only ever been to Spain and Florida so this will be very different, it's nice to see you say it will be fine, thank you.

Atyrau
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

It's gonna be fine.....and I am sure that since he is your trustworthy bf, I do nto see any problem....I live in Lagos for last one year and everything here is fine....In case you have any trouble in Lagos (just in worst case), call me at 08105433244

I am an expatriate and work in Lagos with one of the oil companies.

Wish you all the best!!!

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

Thankyou that's very kind :)

k d
Houston, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

Like others said, Ikeja is a nice area and as long as he meets you at the airport you will be fine. However, here are a few things to help you get through the airport.

1. As soon as you get off the plane you will line up for immigration. They have improved quite a bit so no worries there. Just have a valid visa (passport) and a return ITINERARY (the actual ticket not needed)

2. Once you pass immigration, the tricky part begins. You have to wait for the luggage. There will be some persons in the airport with uniforms and IDs that are supposed to help you roll your luggage to the outside. If you can avoid using their services (travel light) it will be the best. They could pick your luggage and take it outside and that will be the last of it. If you do use their services, a reasonable tip,like anywhere else, is in order. But you have to stay by their side at all times.

3. So if you have only one carry on and one checked luggage you can just grab your bag and roll it towards the outside yourself

4. Next is customs and some other uniformed personnel. Please remember that you are not required to pay anything even if you have new items you bought as gift. Do not offer to pay anybody for any of those items. Just tell them you are not paying, collect your passport and move on out. No one will stop you. Trust me, I know. I have been there before. If they do, then get really mad about it.

5. As some said earlier, get a back up plan in the event he does not show up for any reason including accidents. You don't want to roll outside only to discover he is not there and you do not know what to do.

Lagos
Level Contributor
181 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

since you know him very well and you trust him, all should go well.

side note: pls be careful about ppl giving u their telephone nos on TA not every one here is genuine. and for the genuine ones, you should be careful about dropping ur digits so openly.

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

Had an amazing time, all went well. Thanks for all your replies. X

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

Please do a trip report so we can,learn from your trip

Worcester...
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

How did it go at the airport? I am interested in know how your experience was getting through customs and immigration. I may be accepting a job there, and would like some insight regarding the airport..I am looking forward to hear how you liked your time as well...Thanks!

Lamont

Cebu Island...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: White, female and going to Lagos, will I be safe?

Has that trip to Nigeria already occurred? How did it turn out? If you go from airport-to-home-to-airport-and home....then there is a good chance you would be ok.

But Nigerians are OBSESSED with white women, and any chance they get.........

Get answers to your questions about Lagos
Recent Conversations