We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting to visit

Smithfield, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Wanting to visit

Hello all,

I am wanting to visit my BF in Lagos and have never been there, but family is freaking out because they have heard that Nigeria is a bad place. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that can tell me if it is safe for a white woman to travel alone to Lagos State, Nigeria? I love and trust my BF with all my life and want desperately to visit him this Christmas but I need to be sure that traveling is safe for me.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanting to visit

If you're going to be with your boyfriend then you have nothing to worry about. As long as you've met him before...

Smithfield, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanting to visit

Thank you for your reply....

Unfortunately we have never physically met face to face... known in for months and talk and phone daily, should I be worried?

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanting to visit

Yes.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanting to visit

<<should I be worried?>>

YES YES YES

DONT DO IT far, far too risky, it would be madness to go without far more security. A voice on the phone means nothing, no matter how sincere sounding.

This is a no no for anywhere in the world, but Nigeria in particular is a centre for fraud and particularly romance fraud. The fraudsters are experts at convincing victims of their sincerity.

Your BF “may” be genuine, but there is absolutely no way of knowing.

At best it may involve money, ransom, or fraud. But be warned that white women, particularly blondes, are much sought after by certain people, and once there you are completely vulnerable, totally on your own.

DON'T DO IT !!

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanting to visit

Is this a joke?

You love and trust someone whom you've never met "with all your life" and you're willing to travel to a strange land to prove it? I'm Nigerian and I hate to hear sordid tales of woe that have befallen people like you at the hands of evil people but sometimes a little part of me believes the pain is well deserved.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 01:51
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanting to visit

How can you be so clueless? You need to crawl back under the rock you've been living in your whole life, otherwise your a danger to yourself and others, wow!

These people live among us, vote, drive, teach your kids...it's really scary people like this have to ask if this is a scam.......

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wanting to visit

I know you all say she is clueless. But I did the same thing, I travelled to Lagos, to see a man I had never met physically before, But I did it, and I came home safe. Nigerians are famous for scamming, but if you are safe, you can be just fine there. Nigerian men are just like everywhere else in the world, some are bad but the majority are good, and I would trust the guys I have met in Nigeria with my life. But that is my honest Opinion.

Lagos, Lagos...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Wanting to visit

If you've never met him before, then confirm to yourself that you are not being scammed. If something doesn't look or sound right, don't take the trip. If everything still looks perfect, don't take the trip. Most of all don't send any money

You have to be sure of the arrangements, where you will stay, the transport logistics when you've met the "family". Lagos takes a lot of planning.

I live in Lagos so I know

9. Re: Wanting to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 00:08
London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wanting to visit

I too met my bf online we met in person and the story continues. To be honest at the beginning my family was the same but i did my research before going. checked out hotels and read lots of things about lagos and nigeria. Plan A was to meet him and stay with him while I was there. Plan B was to meet him and book a hotel for the first few days before confirming if I would go to his or stay at the hotel for the whole stay. It the end I ended up staying with him the whole time. We traveled to so many places did normal stuff.

I would say go with your feelings. Think of it as a holiday at the same time and plan as if it was a holiday and not just going to see him. When you plan well regardless of if he is fake or not won't matter cause u will still have a good time.

Get answers to your questions about Lagos