We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business Trip to Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Business Trip to Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria

Hi all,

My company are looking to set up a branch in Lagos, specifically in Victoria Island.

I will be heading out their March to arrange some offices, interviews etc with a view to spend a few weeks on and off for three months.

Can someone please let me know:

1) Are there any government approved orientation companies that I can contact?

2) I am a female (British, coming from South Africa) and may on my first trip have a friend with me. How 'safe' is Victoria Island?

3) Is it realistic that I need high security and body guards? Or is that a lot of media hype?

Thanks

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
39 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business Trip to Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria

welcome to the club. I did pretty much the same thing 3 years ago, also from SA. Only difference was that it was just me without the backing of a company behind it. Made tons of mistakes, learned lots of lessons but the business is still going. Happy to share, but might blow the scope of this forum. If you are interested send me a PM and we can connect.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business Trip to Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria

The island is relatively safe, in comparison to the mainland but of course you will still need to have your wits about you. You are not alone so you should be fine. If you are white you are going to draw attention to yourself on that basis alone but that's part and parcel.

I wouldn't say you need bodyguards but it would be good if you had a contact there that you knew to be trustworthy even if it is a recommendation through friends.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business Trip to Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria

i would highly recommend a trusted driver, but probably not high security. A good driver can get you though the horrid traffic and keep you out of trouble.

4. Re: Business Trip to Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 06:17