We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different Spin on bta

Edgewater, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Different Spin on bta

Here is a different one. I am chatting with a guiy wo says he is military. Sent me photos that he also says are him. He is sending me a checkbook with MY name and address for HIS checking account. Wants me to write a check for $4500, and send him 4k for BTA. He is of course talking

marriage. I can also have a large sum of money (10k). When I get said check book, I think I will go to the bank and check the balance, but I won't write the check. I think I would somehow get into BIG trouble if I did. Maybe not really HIS bank account or something and I would be accused of fraud or something. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Any thoughts?

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different Spin on bta

He's going to scam you. If you don't want to believe it then it's up to you.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,723 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different Spin on bta

It would be money laundering and you will get in trouble.

Chances are he will scam other people, and have them deposit the money into your account. Then you write a check and send him the money, making you an accesory to his crime.

My advice is to inform the bank this account is not yours and have them close it.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,723 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different Spin on bta

Similar trick is to buy goods from a seller (using scammed funds or stolen credit cards), have them sent to you, citing the seller does not ship overseas, then have you ship it to him.

Guess what, the stolen credit card and purchase might be using your name, and the police will look for you instead of him.

Send the goods back if you received any.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different Spin on bta

This is a very typical scam, check the FBI website for more info. Here is what happens: You deposit a check for $4500, you write a check for $4000. I GUARANTEE the check for $4500 will not clear due to insufficient funds but by the time it is returned your $4000 will be long gone. Don't feel badly, there have been so many law firms in the USA that were scammed in a similar fashion that an alert was issued.

I am sorry that the whole romance is just one big fraud scam but sadly all too typical for that part of the world. Just remember nobody sends you money for free. Think about this for a minute. If your "boyfriend" has $4500 he can take cash out of the bank to buy anything he wants. They have ATMs all over Nigeria (I've been there) and everybody takes cash. There is absolutely no reason anyone would need your help to process money - unless of course they are giving you a bad check.

Volusia, Florida...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Different Spin on bta

Oh yeah, pretty much what I figured. I think what I will do is go to the bank and check the balance. Then give the checks to the bank and tell them what is going on. I know there is no such thing as BTA and I also know that Lagos is a thriving metropolis. He insists that he cannot go to a bank. But he will be very surprised when I tell him that there is no money forthcoming. He insists that there is a lot of money in his account and that he wants me to cash this big check and give him money. I figured it was a different spin because he says it is HIS money. Of course I figure it is illegal. I certainly don't need to get involved, but I will go along to see if maybe I can help catch a crook. LOL Just wondered what someone else would say. We are all on the same page. Love it! I'll let you all know what happens.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,723 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different Spin on bta

There are a few documented scams that related to what is happening to you.

Scenario 1 : He sends you a check, and ask you to bank it in, then send him some money. You can keep the balance.

If you are banking into your own account, then it is most likely a forged check. The bank takes a while to clear foreign checks, meanwhile you have sent him the balance using your own money. When the foreign check bounces, your money has already been sent

Alternative two is the payment is real (comes via wire transfer), but infact it is scammed from someone else, or drug money..etc. When banked into your account, the money trail leads to you. You then help him clean the money by sending the money to him using Western Union.

Either way its a bad idea. Do take care that he might have contacts near where you stay. Afrtcan Students, African foreign workers..etc Dont do too much to antagonize him.

If you want to play along, do some research on Scam Baiting (go google it), but do becareful if these guys come looking for you (especially if the deposited a large sum of real money into your account)

Edited: 22 May 2013, 03:43
7. Re: Different Spin on bta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:18