We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
155 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

I am in the early, early stages of planning a trip to Peru - and in researching how to get from Cusco to Aguas Calientes, I cannot seem to find a train that connects the two cities. Please excuse my ignorance, as I am sure if I dig a but further, I may be able to figure it out.... just hoping an expert can help! Our plan is to stay the night in Aguas Calientes prior to visiting Machu Picchu so we can get there first thing in the morning. THANKS for any and all info!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
155 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

RCE - so 2 nights additional in Cusco after MP didn't seem like too much time there? Even after the 3 days required to acclimate prior to the trek? We're flying into Lima so we'll have to return there... from what I've seen - the Miraflores area looks nice?

RCE
Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

We easily could have spent even more time in Cusco (or Sacred Valley)and definitely found Cusco better to unwind in (and shop) after the Inka Trail trek than Lima. I guess if you like big, smoggy cities Lima is fine. Miraflores was nice but nowhere near the cultural atmosphere of Cusco or SV. Larco museum was just awesome in Lima.

We hope to go back to Peru and get a little more off the beaten path. The people are just wonderful.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

If you want to tack on a little luxury to your Inca Trail trek, stay overnight at the Inkaterra Machu Picchu Hotel, www.inkaterra.com in Aguas Calientes. This will beat the Hiram Bingham, for sure. We actually stayed two nights there (also my birthday). The day after coming in from the trail, we had much-needed massages at their spa, in addition to the luxury of lounging in our own hot tub on our private patio. Great restaurant, beautiful grounds, an exquisite experience.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
155 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

Redhead47 - good idea... that may be just what the DR. ordered after 4 days of hiking. I see that you chose Llama path for your trip. We are highly considering using them as well.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

Thank you to everyone for your great advice! I was just about to blow our budget wide open and go for the Hiram Bingham, because there was no other way to get back to Cusco--the other trains were booked. Thanks to you, we will take the Vistadome to MP from Poroy, and then come back to Ollantaytambo the next day.

By the way, I posted something a few days ago about Cusco Suites---the old Garmendia house, still apparently run by members of that family. We have booked there, because the price is right and they seem very accommodating. Has anyone heard of it? There are no ratings online.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

I think it's new -- I've only just recently heard of it. But it looks good. I love the idea of staying in a historic place -- with modern amenities!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

Another option is staying at the Sanctuary Lodge next door to the entrance to Machu Picchu, rather than in Agua Caliente, which is at the bottom of the mountain by the train station. The bus ride up the mountain is only about 1/2 hour, but at the Sanctuary Lodge, you can get up at 6:00 a.m., walk 100 feet to the entrance, and find people already in line to get in to see the sun rise over Machu Picchu. Watching the sun slowly illuminate the ruins is something you won't forget.

Our tour company, Cultural Immersion, suggested splurging for one night at the Sanctuary Lodge, and it was worth it. (I have to admit that we generally splurge on accomodations when we go someplace outside of the US or Europe.)

The trains to Agua Caliente are slow because one track serves trains going in opposite directions, so there are frequent stops at bypasses to allow trains to pass each other. I would recommend taking a taxi to Ollantaytambo and picking up the train there.

18. Re: Getting from Cusco to Aguas Calientes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Aguas Calientes