We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

We will arrive in Aguascalientes by 2-3 pm and will have a free afternoon. The next morning we will be heading to Machu Picchu by bus. My kids age ranges from 7-9 years.

What good activities during the afternoon can we do since I understand that Aguascaliantes caters to more tourist heading to Machu Picchu..

Are we allowed to explore the rounds of Inkaterra? I know for a fact that their excursions are only available for hotel guest and we are not :)

thanks

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

You can contact Inkaterra: www.inkaterra.com it would be a great place for the kids and for you!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

Check with the Inkaterra to see if you can visit the Spectacled Bear Project for a donation. This is on the grounds of the Inkaterra, but quite a distance from the main buildings. It is a program designed to aid recovery of this rare species negatively impacted by humans. inkaterra.com/machu-picchu/excursions/bear

The famous Paddington Bear of children's literature is supposed to be one of these reclusive spectacled bears of Peru. In the original book, Paddington came from the jungles of "deepest, darkest Peru," and was named "Paddington" because he was found at Paddington train station, in London. http://www.paddingtonbear.com/

There are also other nature walks on the grounds of the Inkaterra. Email or call them to see if you & your family can partake. I would expect they would charge a fee, however.

Also, the children will probably love the market near the train station. Lots of things to see & small souvenirs to buy.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

thank for your suggestions FalcoG and Redhead ,

I just chat with a rep from Inkaterra and she told me that the excursions are exclusive for hotel guests . We are however welcome to go to their restaurant.

I read there is a river nearby? maybe we can just hang out there :)

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

You can go for lunch and walk around, I remember when I stayed there that we could go down to the river and have a swim

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

really? Isn't the water cold? thanks for mentioning that...

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

it was sunny and yes the water was a little cold but very nice, watch out for the mosquitoes, It was part of the Inkaterra hotel, so it was kind of a pond.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

We went up to Inkaterra hoping to pay to join some of their excursions too and was given the same, very firm, response. So, if you are a quest, there is really nothing to do there but eat in their restaurant.

We were there in December and the river was very high and fast...can't imagine swimming in it.

My kids (9 and 12) like bumping around in the souvenier shops. It was raining when we were there, so the hot baths/tubs were not an option. EIther was walking to the museum or butterfly house. Why did they put these so far from town and TOTALLY inaccessible except by a long walk?

In the pouring rain, there is NOTHING to do in AC for kids. Bring books and games.

8. Re: What to do with children the day before Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 23:19