We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

Tacoma, Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

The Rupawasi Hotel in Aguas Calientes is requesting that I secure my reservation request by depositing a 50% down payment in one of their Bank of America accounts. Is this legit? Has anyone else done this and been okay with it? It seems like a decent hotel and I haven't seen any bad reviews, I wonder if this is a new policy. This just seems a little odd to me.

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
917 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

seems like a legitimate request to me.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

if you book thru booking sites like booking.com, the hotels will only bill you during checking-in or out. but then not all hotels will be listed. so whichever hotel that fancy you, you have to follow their terms n conditions.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

Its normal to pay for reservations in advance, many hotels world wide do it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
31 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

In my recent trip to Peru, we stayed in hotels in Ollantaytambo, Cuzco, Peru and not once was advance payment requested. This hotel is trying out its aggressive policies and it is your call whether to accept it or to take your business elsewhere where they are more customer friendly. Personally I would do the latter.

Ireland
Level Contributor
731 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

Small hotels in Peru usually require % payment upfront, especially in busier seasons, bigger and chain hotels usually don't unless it's a reduced advance purchase rate. If they don't have facilities to accept payment/credit cards online, they will ask payment by wire into a bank account. It is not unusual.

We stayed in El Albergue in Ollanta and had to pay 20% deposit via Paypal. El Mapi in AC took 100% payment a month before our stay, online. Our other 5 hotels in Peru did not require upfront payment but had other conditions attached and required credit card guarantee.

Tacoma, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm just a little concerned that if i deposit money into a bank account for them I don't have the protection of it having been through a credit card. Has anyone else had to go to a bank to make a deposit?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

check out the below recent post regarding bank transfer to the lodge. your concern is legit.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304036-i8327-k448…

Edited: 01 June 2011, 18:42
8. Re: Rupawasi Hotel and weird payment request.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:16