We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Putucusi ladders washed away??

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Putucusi ladders washed away??

I've been planning to hike Putucusi in July but wikipedia says the giant ladder at the beginning of the climb was washed away on April 17th. I don't really trust wikipedia. Has anybody been there since?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Clovis, California
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

Is there an update to the ladder situation? We are considering this hike in mid September.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

Any updates? We are hoping to head out to Putucusi in early September. Anyone know what the status is on the ladders?

Thanks in advance!

London, England...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

I did it on August 23rd. Ladders replaced, although still a little frightening. There's a 'danger: keep out' type sign covering the entrance though, so do this at your own risk I guess. Not that anything in Peru is done without that simple caveat. Nor should it be anywhere anyway!

Good luck.

Atlanta, Georgia...
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

I did this as well on Aug 30th. Walk about 500 yards on the tracks toward Machu Picchu starting at the tracks in Aguas Calientes. You'll see a STOP/Do Not Enter sign. Go past that; hike about 10-15 minutes and you'll see a few guys working on a small structure or that may be completed by now. Ladders are totally done. I used a harness and hooked up to the 1/2 inch cable. That said, one guy was coming down just before I started, no problem. At the top of the first ladder, 2 guys were coming down and at the top of Putucusi, 3 teenagers. None of which had any gear at all. Easy if you keep 3 points of contact and feel confident.

Atlanta, Georgia...
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

**correction**

Aug 23rd

Atlanta, Georgia...
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

I bet I talked to you b/c I only saw 6 people that day on the mountain. I was using a slack line as a harness w/carabiner.

Good Hike.

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

we did this about 2 weeks ago without any climbing gear. A bit scary when coming back down but well worth it. Do not miss :)

Haverfordwest...
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

New sturdy ladders in place...climbed it in September 2012

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
267 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Putucusi ladders washed away??

I was at the "trail head" by the train tracks in November. I forget exactly what the sign said, but essentially, they prohibit/discourage people from going up for conservation reasons. Since we were very sore from hiking HP and MP all day, we didn't tackle PP...