We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Stores

New England
Level Contributor
37 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Stores

Are there decent grocery stores in Aguas or should we plan on bringing groceries from Cusco? We just need the basics- bottled water, snacks, perhaps beer/wine. Thanks

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Stores

I dont remember seeing a "grocery" store as you or I would perceive it but there were definately loads of little places selling bottled water and snacks and what not. The town is overrun with restaurants too...more pizza / pasta restaurants than in all of Italy it would seem.

New England
Level Contributor
37 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Stores

Thanks, I think the type of store you mention will suffice for our needs.

Peru
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Stores

You'll find these stores on any of the main streets in Aguas Calientes. Be prepared to pay 2 or 3 times the cost for an item compared to Cusco. E.g., 2 or 3 Soles for a small bottle of water versus 1 Sol in Cusco. Everything for sale in AC has been shipped there by rail, hence the markup.

An alternative is the Mercado, a 2-story building located directly across the tracks from the bus station. Most people skip this in favor of the tourist restaurants, but it's where locals and backpackers go to buy fruits, vegetables, water, snacks, staples, etc.

New England
Level Contributor
37 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Stores

Good to know, Perhaps we will stock up before we leave Cusco. Thanks.

5. Re: Grocery Stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Aguas Calientes