We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

BC
Level Contributor
52 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

The inspiration of our trip to Peru is of course, Machu Picchu!

How much time should I allow for a MP Visit?

Option 1-

I’m planning on arriving to MP by train in the late afternoon (2PM) from Ollanta. Spend the next day leisurely touring MP. The next day we would like to hike HP at 10AM and catch the late afternoon train (4PM) back to Cuzco.

Option 2-

Or we can arrive on the afternoon train (12PM) from Ollanta and visit MP until close and the following morning, hike HP at 7AM and spend the remainder of the day touring MP until we catch the late afternoon train (5PM) back to Cuzco.

Yes, I know I have to pay for admission twice. Thank-You

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

In my opinion Aguas Calientes doesnt have enough to offer to warrant arriving there early and not going to Machu PIcchu. I would either take the train in the evening and spend the night or take the train first thing in the morning arriving early.

If you are planning to pay for admission twice anyways the to me Option 2 makes more sense.

Mentioned in this post
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

You can see all of Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu without problems in Option 2. Option 1 sounds nice as taking your time and just being in Machu Picchu is great.

Most people go for just 2 days as they are restricted on time. If that's not an issue then the extra day at Machu Picchu would be my preference.

Mentioned in this post
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,052 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

Actually most people do only one day at MP, while some may opt for a 2 day trip, they usually arrive into AC at the end of the first day and spend the second day at MP.

Considering you want to do HP as well, option 2 would be my recommendation. If the cost of two days entry is a problem you could also arrive late the first day, spend all of the second day at MP and HP, and then either leave AC late the second day, or stay one additional night and catch an early train out of AC in the morning.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

When I worked at agencies in the past I'd say 90% of people opted for the 2 day option. The benefit of being to head up to Machu Picchu early plus the fact that it's less tiring always swung the vote.

I guess it depends on how tight the schedule is.

Mentioned in this post
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
BC
Level Contributor
52 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

If I arrive to AC late at night and following day hike HP starting at 7AM (hopefully done by 12PM), will the last few hours until closing of MP be enough time to tour the site? (Last train to Cuzco is 830PM)

How long is the bus ride from MP to AC?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

Bus ride is 20 to 30 minutes. Of course, you might be waiting in line a few minutes if others get there before you. But they pretty much keep them going as soon as they get filled up.

Coming in the night before if you want to hike Huayna Picchu early in the morning, then touring the rest of Machu Picchu during the day & leaving in the evening sounds like a good plan to me. I think it will give you plenty of time to see the site.

Mentioned in this post
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,052 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

I agree with redhead47, that is the way I would do it.

BC
Level Contributor
52 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

Thank-You everyone for the replies. I truly appreciate it and I'm really looking forward to my long awaited trip to Peru. Once gain, Thanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Miami, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

We're arriving early morning into MP with the 4-day hike group and expect to spend the whole day in MP, then spend the night in AC before leaving for Cusco. We were also wondering if we should plan for an extra night in AC so we can have an extra day to either (1) go back to MP, or (2) explore AC. Any feedback on these thoughts would be great. Thanks a bunch!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time should I allowed for a MP visit?

Lots of people are too wiped after the Inca Trail to enjoy touring MP. If you have the time you might want to budget the extra day in case this applies to you. Note that if you want to hike Huayna Picchu your permit for the Inca Trail doesn't include this, so you could do that on the second morning if you still have any legs left.

There isn't a whole lot to see in Aguas Calientes.